Zettelkasten Forum

2nd Edition of the book (German) gets rewritten

12345679»

Comments

• Yeeey... 2 tasks!!! <3

• 0 Tasks on my side.

What happens next:

1. @ctietze will move some cards in the kanban back to me for some clarification/confirmation etc.
    2. I'll wait for the first draft of the cover, created by a volunteer (many thanks!!)
    3. Christian will then create test versions of the book.
    4. Assessment of the test versions. After last minute polishing, it will go to press ... in German. :)
    5. The very next day, the version is closed, I will start the translation into English. This will be fairly efficient, since I practised it consciously by writing blogposts in German first and then translating it.

I am a Zettler

• prima Jahresabschluss

immer am Rand der Sammlerfalle

• Good luck! Und einen guten Rutsch!

• Congratulations @Sascha ! Quite the accomplishment!

• Many thanks!

I am a Zettler

• Congratulations! And Happy New Year!

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• edited January 27
    • Incorporated the feedback and we're down to a couple of task only back on Sascha's side!
    • Typesetting of difficult parts (lots of full-text samples of notes as figures) achieved. We'll likely tweak this some more, but the majority of the work is done there.

LaTeX typesetting really takes a while on my computer; it's definitely not WYSIWYG, more WYSIWYWAMF ("What You See Is What You Waited A Minute For").

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited February 3

So, this might be it on my side. If Christian has no major issue, he can move to my side. I just have to write the blurb.

I am a Zettler

• I cannot wait. Will the English version be self-published and available for purchase online, or will we have to wait for classical publishing?

"A writer should write what he has to say and not speak it." - Ernest Hemingway

Zettelkasten: transitioning from Bear to Obsidian + DEVONthink, GTD: OmniFocus, production: Scrivener / Ableton Live.

• @KillerWhale said:
    I cannot wait. Will the English version be self-published and available for purchase online, or will we have to wait for classical publishing?

Both will be self-puplished unless some traditional publisher wants to bribe us with a big, big paycheck.

I am a Zettler

• Awesome, thanks. I was afraid I would have to bribe you with a bigger check that I do not have so as to release it sonner 😄
    Insta-buy from me as soon as it comes out.

"A writer should write what he has to say and not speak it." - Ernest Hemingway

Zettelkasten: transitioning from Bear to Obsidian + DEVONthink, GTD: OmniFocus, production: Scrivener / Ableton Live.

• Any updates

• PDF making is in progress!

• @ctietze said:
    PDF making is in progress!

Amazing!

• Typesetting woes have been overcome and I'm making faster progress.

Side note: the parallels I see in to crafts like carpentry and smithing in my work sometimes surprises me. I built myself a couple of very simple tools ('simple' after I figured out what I need) to speed up the process of image conversion and making tweaks to the layout and typography here and there. Like a smith has all these tongs and whatnots for projects, and carpenters and metalworkers creating templates for consistent output -- or CNC machinery programming, which is a similar preparation step.

• All figures have been placed, almost all types been set. Going through one last time to remove wrinkles and check for a uniform look throughout, then it'll go to @Sascha.

• Is there a chance for having an english translation, in the future?
    Too big effort for me learning german for this :smile:

• @andang76 said:
    Is there a chance for having an english translation, in the future?

There is not just a chance. It is a certainty.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:

@andang76 said:

oh, great

• @andang76 said:

I’ll still learn German though because I vastly prefer the original source with the intended meaning.

Also, I’m interested in the culture and really enjoyed my time when I traveled to Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

• @Sascha said:

Have you considered using AI like chatgpt to get a rough English draft? I'd be interested in reading your other books too but they're published in German, and I am guessing you have no plans to translate them

Zettelkasten is love. Zettelkasten is life.

• @JoshA said:

@Sascha said:

Have you considered using AI like chatgpt to get a rough English draft?

Not ChatGPT, since it lost my trust on many occasions. But I will use AI to support me. :)

I'd be interested in reading your other books too but they're published in German, and I am guessing you have no plans to translate them

Then, there is hope for you: I plan to translate all of my work on the good life in the modern world. :) (There is no time line, yet)

Most likely, the first book that will be translated will be the book on habit, since it also serves as a demonstration of proper Zettelkasten work. There is a chance, that I will start with the introduction to my work, if I decide to create the second edition of the introduction in between.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    Most likely, the first book that will be translated will be the book on habit, since it also serves as a demonstration of proper Zettelkasten work.

Great! I currently translate your German blog posts on your me-improved site with Chrome. Not sure how great the translation is, but I still get value out of it :)

Zettelkasten is love. Zettelkasten is life.

• edited April 20

@JoshA said:

@Sascha said:
    Most likely, the first book that will be translated will be the book on habit, since it also serves as a demonstration of proper Zettelkasten work.

Great! I currently translate your German blog posts on your me-improved site with Chrome. Not sure how great the translation is, but I still get value out of it :)

If the topic is health or fitness related, you'll be fine. But I have a fairly uncommon style in German, which puts a tight limit on the translatability of my more philosophical texts for AI.

French is a fine park, Italian a big, bright, colorful wood. But German is almost a primeval forest, so dense and mysterious, so without a passage and yet with a thousand paths. You can’t get lost in a park, and not so easily and dangerously in the bright Italian wood; but in the German jungle, within four, five minutes, you can go missing. Because the path seems so difficult, many try to march through as straight as possible, which violates the nature of this language. It surely wants a main direction but invites deviating from to the left and to the right by its hundred paths and pathlets, and shortly back to it.1 (My translation)

1. Ludwig Reiners (1967 (Erstausgabe: 1943)): Stilkunst. Ein Lehrbuch deutscher Prosa, München: C.H.Beck. p. 21 ↩︎

I am a Zettler