Zettelkasten Forum

Andy Matuschak's Note-Writing Livestream

I haven't seen this mentioned in the forum yet, so here is a link to a recording of one of Andy Matuschak's note-writing sessions:

It's not really a productive session but maybe especially useful because of that. Anyways, I found it quite inspirational for my on practice. I would love to read your thoughts, in particular how this compares to your own practice and experiences.

Comments

• Among other things, it was interesting that Andy was using Bear Notes.

• I would love to read your thoughts

Could you please elaborate what should we see? I mean, the video is as long as a really nice movie (or some lovely time with your significant other)

• @Splattack said:

I would love to read your thoughts

Could you please elaborate what should we see? I mean, the video is as long as a really nice movie (or some lovely time with your significant other)

I am not sure how to answer your question. The video shows Matuschak struggling with his topic, writing down his thoughts, extracting notes. I have not experienced this level of "internal debate" (?) before and I am wondering if that is how others work with their Zettelkasten as well or how your typical interactions differ from his.

• edited October 2020

@Splattack it's basically if you pointed a webcam at yourself as you thought out loud about trying to write something.

@nistude I find this video quite inspirational, and it has actually significantly affected my practice. So much so that I have a note called Andy Work which talks about this type of thinking.

[EDIT] and it makes me jealous for that amount of screen real estate, too.

• @nistude said:
    I haven't seen this mentioned in the forum yet, so here is a link to a recording of one of Andy Matuschak's note-writing sessions
    It's not really a productive session but may be especially useful because of that. Anyways, I found it quite inspirational for my on practice. I would love to read your thoughts, in particular how this compares to your own practice and experiences.

I, like @mediapathic find Andy's Work inspirational. I go gaga over listening in on thought prosesses as someone is writing. @ctietze did something simular with his treatment of Range. I hope @ctietze continues this type of tutorial. With something other than Range.

Andy's newest work on 'Orbit' looks very interesting.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• To my surprise, I watched the entire thing, in spite it being as long as a movie. I thought it was interesting and illustrated really well how writing is thinking. Andy is very thoughtful with what he writes down. He's not just copying down words or even ideas from what he's read; he's wrestling with the concepts.