Zettelkasten Forum

Workflow Zettel Question.

Just a quick note on my reading/workflow to further clarify my question. Currently I am reading a book about mental models. So processing them takes a bit of understanding and to me if you are not understanding the information you consume then it is not actionable. I read the chapter and marked interesting passages as well as write any thoughts/ideas that come to mind on a 4x6 piece of paper (These should become Zettels?) When I am done with the chapter I try to implement the Feynman technique (https://fs.blog/2012/04/feynman-technique/) or a version of it to see if I fully understand what I have read. This is done in a notebook. If I am not able to articulate/write out what I have learned I go back into the book and fill in the gaps I missed. So I am essentially writing/describing what I have learned into my owns words without jargon. Should I break down what I have written in my notebook into Zettels or should the zettels be written primarily from the marked texts and the ideas that came about ?

Comments

• @VDL1516 said:
    Just a quick note on my reading/workflow to further clarify my question....I read the chapter and marked interesting passages as well as write any thoughts/ideas that come to mind on a 4x6 piece of paper (These should become Zettels?) When I am done with the chapter I try to implement the Feynman technique (https://fs.blog/2012/04/feynman-technique/) or a version of it to see if I fully understand what I have read. This is done in a notebook. If I am not able to articulate/write out what I have learned I go back into the book and fill in the gaps I missed. So I am essentially writing/describing what I have learned in my owns words without jargon. Should I break down what I have written in my notebook into Zettels or should the zettels be written primarily from the marked texts and the ideas that came about?

From your description, it sounds like the initial writing of thoughts as you are reading the book is what Ahrens calls "fleeting notes" and what you write in your notebook, after some thought, digestion and in your own words, is what Ahrens calls your "permanent notes" ("How to Take Smart Notes", Sonke Ahrens). This corresponds with how I read, take notes and then write Zettels, as well. It is the permanent notes from your notebook that should form the basis of your Zettels. You may have to break down what you have written, i.e., one idea to each Zettel.

• @GeoEng51 thank you for the input. I appreciate it.

• @VDL1516 said:
    Should I break down what I have written in my notebook into Zettels or should the zettels be written primarily from the marked texts and the ideas that came about ?

Yes and yes. Of course.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Both. Anything useful belongs in your ZK.

I am a Zettler

• I know what book you've read. I actually ended up creating an individual zettel for all the mental models listed and supporting ideas listed.

• @nick I sent you a message.