Zettelkasten Forum

Share your ZK plans for 15 MAY - 21 May.

Linking in zettelkastening is related to the value gained from relating knowledge from multiple sources.
The value of a note corresponds to how much attention is spent on it.

Please share what you have been working on. Please share what you wish you'd be working on. Use this as a public accountably tool, as a way to start a conversation, and to socialize your understanding.

DON'T BE SHY!

Week 20 of 2022 Already!

This Week I'll Be

1. Reading Lakoff's Metaphors We Live By and Carlo Rovelli's There are Places in the World Where Rules are Less Important than Kindness
  2. Continue my onboarding of McPherson's Effective Notetaking
  3. Prepping for a new Poetry of Zettelkasting Video

Trivia.

These are the titles of a few notes I'm excited about.
Show us yours! We are interested in seeing what you are up to!

–––
Hunting for signal words 202203100828
"Level Up" Reading Skills 202205140716
What makes something interesting? 202205131707
Homework every night for the rest of my life 202205121504
–––

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Hi @Will ! I hope you are alright ! :)

This week :

This week, I worked on my novel, worked with John Truby's book, build a new set of tools for my writings. I've tried Typora to work with, but I didn't like the way it handles paragraphs, or document switching. I am quite disatisfied of tools I'm using since some monthes.

Next week :

Inspired by @scottscheper and @Sascha conversation about paper Zettelkasten, I am searching for a new way of making my Zettelkasten, to materialize a "physical" Zettelkasten with carstocks in a digital one. I don't have my answer about search tool, but…

They gave me ideas. I can't go on paper because of my hands and the massive uses of pictures and music. I still don't know how to print music :(

MiniBear leaves Monday. Is it tomorrow ? Yeah, it's tomorrow. I have difficulties to track time passing. I'm style the Memeic Master Mum : my son's teacher sent me reminders through emails during the week, so I am ready.

Trivias :

Do you remember the little animal I posted two weeks ago ? It was a Costasiella kuroshimae and this little thing practices photosyntesis. It inspired me for a new drawing, this is Chepite, a friend of one of my character :

• A wildfire of the fantasy spectacular!

Twins by different mothers.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• This Week I Will Be

1. I just started a new job, so I'm learning both the software related to that and some literature related
    • Software: PPM Pro and LeanKit
    • Readings: Scrum Mastery: From Good to Great Servant Leadership, PMBOK Guide 2021, and possibly Project to Product by Mik Kersten
    1. Outside of work, I want to continue to read some other literature (Cognition: Exploring the Science of the Mind and Principles of Systems Science) as I find time
    2. I need to spend some time processing into my Archive, especially some of these new things I'm learning at work
    3. I want to think further about what @Sascha and @scottscheper talked about in their video in having a type of project in mind as I find that I don't have a type of output in mind except for the ability to develop skills

I might have to much literature going on at once

Trivia

I haven't developed any legit zettels in the past week. So, this is my way to be open so that I'll hopefully be able to report something different next week!

I get the feeling that I'm still sipping on that collectors fallacy kool-aid.

• @rwrobinson said:
    I haven't developed any legit zettels in the past week. So, this is my way to be open so that I'll hopefully be able to report something different next week!

I get the feeling that I'm still sipping on that collector's fallacy kool-aid.

Different times call for different strategies for getting ideas captured during reading. Sometimes it's best to read the whole way through, making marginalia as you go, then process the book in its entirety. This can be daunting, and you have to be disciplined not to start reading other books after finishing one, before onboarding it to the ZK.

The other approach is to read one or two chapters in the same fashion, with highlights and marginalia, then process and refactor that amount of the material before reading any more.

The switching from reading to zettelkasting becomes rhythmic, and slowly a book is processed.

Some books are a treasure trove of new ideas and take a lot of time and focus to simulate, some not so much.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will

Thanks for your thoughts here. It makes me think of what was mentioned in the video we both recently watched (you are still watching it seems). The topic of having the discipline to do certain things (in the video I think it was more in reference to not copy and pasting). In my case, by far and away, the hardest thing to do is process without starting to read more. Honestly, it feels impossible sometimes because there are so much I want to learn from others in new areas. I don't think digital or analog is going to make a difference with processing or not.

Thanks for your reminder above.

• @rwrobinson said:
    I'll hopefully be able to report something different next week!

/ᐠ ̥ ̮ ̥ᐟ\ฅ ~ Stay pawsitive!

@Loni said:
    MiniBear leaves Monday. Is it tomorrow ? Yeah, it's tomorrow. I have difficulties to track time passing. I'm style the Memeic Master Mum : my son's teacher sent me reminders through emails during the week, so I am ready.

Seems like someone lent you a paw. That's catnific! /ᐠ。▿。ᐟ\

@Loni said:
    [Costasiella kuroshimae] inspired me for a new drawing, this is Chepite, a friend of one of my character :

This kitten seems like it would have trouble digitigrading. Is it the case?

@Will Care to share these? /ᐠ . ۪ . ᐟ\

• What makes something interesting? 202205131707
    • Homework every night for the rest of my life 202205121504

Last Week

• Finished the Zettel on Soul Release.
    • Dived a bit into purrocatstinyation and goal setting for the purrocessing of Richard's book.
    • Began putting together a huge cluster of Zettels about research for my Zettelkasten organyazation.
    • Couldn't resume reading backlog stuff. /ᐠ ̞ ‸ ̞ᐟ\
    • Began reading the MTF HRT guidelines.

This Week

• Purrocess the MTF HRT guidelines.
    • Make a separate Zettel for MTF HRT.
    • Finish my readings on goal setting and purrocatstinyation.
    • Make a Zettel on research furm the aforemeowtioned group of Zettels.

Zettels Modified Last Week

202204050827 Soul Release
    202204201629 How to deal with difficult people
    202205121309 The Zettelkasten Method and Soul Release - Analogy
    202202191535 Transgender
    202202071602 Fallacy
    202112041307 The Zettelkasten Method
    202204231459 How to find the missing pieces of a source
    202204080954 Keep realistic expectations
    202205071632 Work around your limitations
    202110190915 How to get unstuck from a backlog
    202202251059 How to come out of the closet
    202204010955 Playing the system isn't fun, but it makes the game shorter
    202203031504 Annabella
    202202230842 The Black Swan of my identity
    202204191505 We all have pawtential
    202106010715 Work with a Zettelkasten to get better at it

• @Annabella said:

This Week

Finish my readings on goal setting and purrocatstinyation.

What are you reading on purrocatstinyation? Attention and distraction are keystone areas in my ZK. I wonder if there is any commonality in our reading?

This is one of those questions that spur deep thinking and wonderment that is taken for granted. Letting this proof for a week and then setting it loose into the review cycle. See attached file.

Homework every night for the rest of my life 202205121504

This one frames a writer's work, something I've struggled with. I find the act of processing ideas in my ZK energizing, and I want this idea to energize my life. See attached file.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited May 2022

@Annabella I don’t know what happened to the files. I’m out and about and will investigate once back in the office.

Post edited by Will on

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    Please share what you have been working on. Please share what you wish you'd be working on. Use this as a public accountably tool, as a way to start a conversation, and to socialize your understanding.

OK, I'll take up your challenge, but only for socializing (I'm annoyingly capable or holding myself accountable) :smile:

1. (ongoing) ZK maintenance: linking unlinked or badly linked notes, creating hubs, gradually creating more structure in hubs
    2. Further re-re-reading Alvin Toffler's 1980 The Third Wave, creating notes based on it, processing around 30 notes on the topic from my inbox, creating (more, better) structure in the structure note on this topic
    3. For the writing ZK: transfer further from nvALT (box of notes) into The Archive (ZK), but only when I feel like it

@Will said:
    These are the titles of a few notes I'm excited about.

You may like the paper by Davis, 1971. That's interesting! Towards a phenomenology of sociology and a sociology of phenomenology. Philosophy of the social sciences, 1(2), 309-344. I usually give it to PhD students.

• Thank you, @Will ! I love the parallel you did =^^=

@Annabella said:
    This kitten seems like it would have trouble digitigrading. Is it the case?

No, it was a sketch so I made mistakes. I have lost faith about my drawing abilities long ago and I try to rebuild it.
    Here I was trying to make a vegetal rabbit adopting the same playful pose than a dog because Althea and Chepite live with Cerbere's pack. Massive giant dogs.

@erikh said:
    Further re-re-reading Alvin Toffler's 1980 The Third Wave, creating notes based on it, processing around 30 notes on the topic from my inbox, creating (more, better) structure in the structure note on this topic

Hi, welcome aboard ! :) Just a question : do you intend to create structure notes for your reading notes, or structure note for the personal notes you take from the book ?
    By the way, I discover this author, and I am glad because I've made some researches about Cyberpunk, and Cyberpunk is about society in a post-modernist era. So, this is connected !

I usually give it to PhD students.

Are you a teacher, a researcher ? :o Coool !

• edited May 2022

@Annabella, I figured out what I was doing wrong, sort of. Here are links to the actual zettel.

What makes something interesting? 202205131707.md
    Homework every night for the rest of my life 202205121504.md

Post edited by Will on

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Loni Keep up the good work then. Your drawings are purrety good, if meow do say so meowself. /ᐠ ̥ ̮ ̥ᐟ\ฅ

@Will Thanks for sharing! /ᐠ。ퟑ。ᐟ\ Homework every night for the rest of your life 202205121504 didn't strike a cord with meow, but What makes something interesting_ 202205131707 did. The latter is inspurrational. Meow think meow can extract something out of it to add to my Zettel on Scyketh. Scyketh is just a fancy word fur mewledge that has: 1) Truth, 2) beauty, 3) simplicity, 4) usefulness, and 5) relevancy.

• I read through Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman a few weeks ago. I've gone back over the first two chapters to process my annotations, but I still need to work my way through the rest of it before too much time passes.

I'm also working on a draft of a manuscript. I need to get figures put together so I can see what data is still worth collecting.

• I'm reading and making notes on La Peau de chagrin and Adults in the Room (from Varoufakis).

Also, as a distraction my eye caught a nearby topic on physical zk. I've watched the author a bit, but noticed that I'm focusing more on him, rather than a notemaking technology he pushes.
    Long story short, does anyone know good books on marketing, televangelism, propaganda and technologies of persuasion in general?

I would've really liked to refactor some of my note dumps into something coherent to return to my old projects. But I can't do it on the go and sitting time is a really limiting factor.

I've been trying Obsidian (for Android) all week, but still hadn't decided whether I'm going to keep using it.

• I'm processing The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. I read the book in 2014 and captured ideas but failed to complete the processing of my notes. The book quickly made it on my Books I'm Really Glad I Read list, and it's been a joy to spot-read and process the notes into my ZK.

• Started reading the recently published On Quality: An Inquiry into Excellence: Unpublished and Selected Writings by Robert and Wendy Pirsig (2022). Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (1974) was a book I read several decades ago, and this recent publication is a collection of unpublished and selected writings. Described in the most recent book is a talk Robert gave in 1974 and in it is a quote I found quite interesting:

Pirsig said,

"I sat down and had to devise a way of keeping track of what were now very rapidly proliferating thoughts. Normally for a small article or a small essay, you’d use an outline, but you find that when you start getting into something big, the outline gets crossed out so fast that it becomes unusable. What I did for this particular outline was something I’d learned to do in technical writing, and that was to put down each idea on individual slips of paper and then compare them and see which went first."

Pirsig, Robert M.; Pirsig, Wendy K.. On Quality (p. 10). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

• @Steve625, I never thought about keeping a Books I'm Really Glad I Read list, but it now sounds like a good idea. Maybe this calls for a script that looks at all 'book' zettel and ranks them according to inbound and outbound links. Most of the life-changing books I've read were read in the pre-zettelkasten era.

What are some of the other books on the Books I'm Really Glad I Read?

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Loni said:
    Hi, welcome aboard ! :) Just a question : do you intend to create structure notes for your reading notes, or structure note for the personal notes you take from the book ?

This time about the "academic" ZK :)
    The structure note is for my own notes. Toffer's scope is very wide, there are many aspects of society where you can see the effects of the 3 waves. Toffler groups them in spheres: Techno-sphere, Socio-sphere, etc. I have notes now about >25 different aspects, that I try to fit into Toffler's grouping, to make sure I can find it back in the future, and to avoid the déjà-vu as I described in my first post on the forum

By the way, I discover this author, and I am glad because I've made some researches about Cyberpunk, and Cyberpunk is about society in a post-modernist era. So, this is connected !

Yes, he talks about almost anything, but the connections between the concepts are fascinating. When I get to the cyberpunk part I'll be sure to remember!

Are you a teacher, a researcher ? :o Coool !

Yes, both. Not sure my students would agree about the "cool" though :smiley:

• Books I'm Really Glad I Read

Here is a list generated from my ZK of the books I've processed.
    This is one objective measure of how influential a book has been to me.
    Before starting with the ZKM, I'd only have subjective feelings and the notoriously fallible memory on which to base how influential a book was. I'm glad I read these books because they proved meaningful.

B-Quintessential Dzogchen 201901301240 - Total Links: 113 (In 73 :: Out 40)
    B-Ecodharma 202007050647 - Total Links: 80 (In 42 :: Out 38)
    B-Meditations on Self-Discipline 201901021303 - Total Links: 76 (In 43 :: Out 33)
    B-Environmental And Nature Writing 202008061944 - Total Links: 59 (In 13 :: Out 46)
    B-The Zen Teaching of Huang-Po 201903141853 - Total Links: 51 (In 7 :: Out 44)
    B-First You Write A Sentence 202012092105 - Total Links: 50 (In 22 :: Out 28)
    B-The Extended Mind 202203031429 - Total Links: 48 (In 9 :: Out 39)
    B-Haiku Book One 202001011457 - Total Links: 48 (In 9 :: Out 39)
    B-Owning It All 202101232137 - Total Links: 47 (In 23 :: Out 24)
    B-New World New Mind 202001082035 - Total Links: 47 (In 21 :: Out 26)

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• EDIT:

I don't want to leave the impression that the ten books above are the only books I've processed into my ZK. They just prove to be the 10 most integrated book notes.

These are today's stats.

13 [Zettel Proofing](thearchive://match/"#proofing").
    108 [Books Processed](thearchive://match/"#book").
    57 [Blog Posts](thearchive://match/"#blog-post").
    176 [Articles Processed](thearchive://match/"#article").
    10 [Poetry of Zettelkasting videos](thearchive://match/"#video").

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited May 2022

@Will
    The "Books I'm really glad I Read" idea comes from Steve Leveen's Little Guide To Your Well-Read Life Mr. Leveen puts creating such a list near the top of discovering the type of books that "will change your life." My list is subjective, with more than a few notes finding their way into my ZK. Here are a few.

Hunters of the Red Moon This was the first book that stole my imagination when the words on the page gave way to "seeing" the story. (around age 9) The book is out of print, but I was able to locate one via Amazon, and I keep it on my library shelf as a reminder.

The Majesty of Books This book got me hooked on taking notes.

Success On Purpose The first time someone laid out exactly how to identify core values and live by them.

Atlas Shrugged Scary accurate.

How to think like Leonardo da Vinci My journal entries to this day are patterned after the things I learned in this book, minus mirror writing.

The Willpower Instinct I can resist cheesecake, etc.

Getting things Done I've used the methodology at my office for over fifteen years.

A list of books that meant something to you becomes a sort of book biography, or Bookography. Try to reconstruct such a list and you'll be in store for some rewarding self-knowledge. ...begin with any of the books you're really glad you read.  ...ask yourself why the book was important to you. Was it the author's style that you liked so much? If so, perhaps you'd like other books by that author.

Leveen, Steve. The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life: How to Get More Books in Your Life and More Life from Your Books. Levenger Press, 2005. p.14.

• edited May 2022

This week, I am working on about 20 Zk entries related to My Life Purpose, My Core Values, and Opportunities for Improvement. I find myself periodically thinking about these things over time, but never seem to remember if, when, and where I might have written these things down. The Zk seems like a good place to store these, research aspects of them, and view their evolution over time.

• @Erich said:
    This week, I am working on about 20 Zk entries related to My Life Purpose, My Core Values, and Opportunities for Improvement. I find myself periodically thinking about these things over time, but never seem to remember if, when, and where I might have written these things down. The Zk seems like a good place to store these, research aspects of them, and view their evolution over time.

I applaud your effort in this regard. I work on similar themes for my ZK regularly. One of my reasons for doing so is to capture those thoughts for my kids and grand-kids. That's part of a larger ZK project to record important memories and life-forming experiences in a personal history. It's a surprisingly difficult task, to get these zettels "right" (and of course, your ideas about them change over time).

• edited May 2022

Still working on my mathematics project. The notes so far are being registered with the US Copyright and Trademark Office. I found that I like interacting with and paying lawyers too.

And in other news, in my ZK I jotted down some things to remember, such as the reminder to adopt an extremely businesslike attitude and to identify wholly with certain projects in the world, such as the the previous project. Adopting a businesslike attitude is antithetical to my personality, which errs toward the cynicism of the untalented and disillusioned idealist, at least when I'm not joking. Psychologists say that personality can change. Perhaps being miserable is close to being businesslike, at least in The Benighted States. I don't know what it's like in civilization, in Europe. Years ago a historian remarked to me that Richard Feynman wasn't a cynic, and asked me what I thought. I said that Feynman was too capable and talented to be cynical. The historian agreed. Another thing to remember is that all narratives are false, especially personal narratives. I doubt that I could craft a convincing overarching personal narrative, even if it were true.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• @ZettelDistraction Your reminders could be the substance for a nice personal structure note which could be structured in a way that the goal is a personalised yet wholistic approach to life.

Albeit the following

Another thing to remember is that all narratives are false, especially personal narratives.

Narratives don't have any truth or falseness to them. They are connections between what is and what should be. They are a how. So, like a recipe is neither true or false narratives can be used for propaganda or to break ones deadlift record. I use principles of fastfood to paint better pictures (with words) and to persuade my fioncée to healthier eating. :)

The trick is to learn what is true or not and then chose the recipe instead of chosing the recipe and thinking whatever you cook is healthy and tastes good.

I am a Zettler

• @GeoEng51 Thanks for sharing your efforts with capturing personal history in zettels. This gave me confidence in what I am working on and to also expand upon this in the future.

• @Sascha said:
    @ZettelDistraction Your reminders could be the substance for a nice personal structure note which could be structured in a way that the goal is a personalised yet wholistic approach to life.

Done there, been that. The structure note is so personal as to be almost intimate.

Albeit the following

Another thing to remember is that all narratives are false, especially personal narratives.

Narratives don't have any truth or falseness to them.
    They are connections between what is and what should be.

Then we have a difference of opinion about their truth, but not so much about their function. You raise a good point. For me, socially or politically motivated narratives attempt to relate what isn't the case (usually) to what someone or some group wants others to believe should be the case, generally for the purpose of excluding access to some resource or other.

They are a how. So, like a recipe is neither true or false narratives can be used for propaganda or to break ones deadlift record.

I agree that they can be useful. Truth might be an impediment, or beside the point. But I don't trust them.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards