Zettelkasten Forum

Cognitive Mapping

The first edition is just waiting for imagery by @ctietze and the online course will be one of my focussed work for the next couple of weeks.

The next Zettelkasten-related topic will be mapping.

This article might be of interest to you:

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/cognitive-mind-concept/

This will be one of the corner stones to connect the overall architecture of the Zettelkasten Method and thinking tools. Perhaps, I might even say integrate the tools with the environment.

The infobox on the right with all the *maps might be also of interest to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map

Cognitive Mapping is the initial reason for the image capture function in The Archive. It integrates the environment of thinking "desk" with the environment of thinking on your computer:

-- Sascha

I am a Zettler

Comments

• edited October 2021

Interesting! I've secretly been wanting a good mapping software that is integrated with my notes collection because I will often use cmaps software to visualize my initial understanding of a topic and how the various parts of it interconnect with each other.

The other type of mapping I want to some day do to my vault (also would like to see it done to Luhmann's vault) is a sort of cluster map. Because these are tools and I find a lot of vault graphs useless, I ask myself what insights am I hoping to get by visualizing my vault?

• Marco level understanding of ones vault?
    • Hidden connections between ideas?
  • @Nick I wouldn't use software to engage more parts of the brain. To me, the biggest value of mapping techniques is the change in understanding because of the application of those techniques.

@Nick said:
    The other type of mapping I want to some day do to my vault (also would like to see it done to Luhmann's vault) is a sort of cluster map. Because these are tools and I find a lot of vault graphs useless, I ask myself what insights am I hoping to get by visualizing my vault?

• Marco level understanding of ones vault?
    • Hidden connections between ideas?

Mh. My suspicion is that this kind of mapping can lead to knowledge about the superficial layer (notes) and not to knowledge to the deeper layer (knowledge). However, perhaps hidden connections might become visible?

This is my preparation of the chapter Apotheosis in Joseph Campbell's
    The Hero With a Thousand Faces*. The experimentation has started:

I am a Zettler

• Related workflow (deepl translation):

Cluster Mapping:[[202110270933]] of the chapter.

1. write the central idea either as a heading or in the middle of a sheet of paper (portrait or landscape; both are possible).
    2. go through your markers of the chapter and create a node with label for each marker.
    3. then circle the groups to show how they are grouped.
    4. create a note with the central idea of the chapter and the clusters as subheadings.
    5. Work through all the markers in the second reading (see Barbell Method [[201709041358]]) and assign them to the appropriate subheadings. Create additional sections if necessary. 6.
      Then clean up this section of the notebook by separating out sections as separate notes, making references, and so on.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I am a Zettler