Zettelkasten Forum

Rene's SublimeText for Zettelkasten - Package, Talk and more

12345679»

Comments

• edited April 6

Great suggestions. I would be interested in hearing what anyone else who uses mmd citation style thinks.

For me, the 48[ approach would be the most streamlined, even if not the most intuitive, since it doesn't require having to move (or even touch) the cursor after inserting the citation---the cursor would move automatically to the end of the citekey after insertion and you're on your way.

Of the two methods you suggest, though, the first (ie, placing the cursor into the first pair of brackets on insertion) seems like a significant improvement. It would still require one to shift the cursor outside the citekey in order to continue writing, but that's just a quick cmd+right arrow. I could totally live with that ;)

Of course, I can understand how others, and new users, might be thrown off by any alterations to the behavior of the current citation mechanism.

Any thoughts from other mmd-citation users?

Also: Is there a reason why pandoc style citation does not automatically include the parentheses in the inserted citation? Do you type out your page reference in parentheses (ie (48)) before invoking ZK: Insert Citation?

• @argonsnorts said:
    Also: Is there a reason why pandoc style citation does not automatically include the parentheses in the inserted citation? Do you type out your page reference in parentheses (ie (48)) before invoking ZK: Insert Citation?

In pandoc @citekey just cites the source, which is often exactly what I need, i.e. no page number needed (e.g. when citing papers).

• Thanks Rene

for your approach and development.

Till last year I was using only simplenote and nvpy in linux. Sublime text 3 with two windows option, markdown preview and your implementation of
    - images,
    - bibtex file,
    - tag search
    - and many other utilities added great value. I am new to sublime text and I wonder is there any way that fuzzysearch ctrl shift f display titles in sidebar at the some time I input first characters and after opening in sidebar I can key title which opens article with added color of word search. I already found goto anything and pluggins find in project. Your tag search is doing this with the tags.

Thanks Very much

Sadyn

• The SublimeText Zettelkasten just became more useful...

Introducing: Zettelkasten Mode :sunglasses:

(News from the README)

For a sublime Zettelkasten experience, you can enter the Zettelkasten mode:

• bring up the command palette by pressing [cmd]+[shift]+[p] on macOS ([ctrl]+[shift]+[p] on Windows and Linux).
    • type zk to list the Zettelkasten commands.
    • select 'ZK: Enter Zettelkasten Mode'

This will:

• split your SublimeText window into 3 parts:

• the left part where your tabbed notes are displayed
      • the top right part where search results are displayed
      • the bottom right part where your saved searches (see below) are displayed

The Zettelkasten Mode allows for easy mouse navigation through your note archive.

Remember: ALT + DOUBLECLICK is sometimes more convenient than CTRL + ENTER :wink:

If your search results are empty, a little welcome text with some useful keyboard shortcuts will be displayed. If you don't have any saved searches yet, a few sample searches will be created. This is shown in the screen-shot below:

zkmode_2

Note: If you have upgraded this package and entered the Zettelkasten Mode for the first time, SublimeText may be confused about the syntax of your notes. In that case, open a note and use the menu: 'View' -> 'Syntax' -> 'Open all with current extension as...', and select 'sublime_zk > Markdown Zettelkasten'.

Saved Searches

The Zettelkasten mode introduces a saved searches file. This is a simple Text file where you can name and store search terms.

Its syntax is very simple; to define a search, you just add a line, consisting of the following parts:

• an optional search name
    • a colon :
    • a search-spec (see advanced tag search for more information)

• #! (all tags) and [! (all notes) are also valid search-specs

The search-spec will be highlighted in the file, so you know exactly what will be searched for.

You can place Markdown headings anywhere in the file, too, like this:

# Tag Searches
    just one  tag:          #tag
    tag1 or  tag2:          #tag1  #tag2
    tag1 and tag2:          #tag1, #tag2

# A bit more complex
    tag1 but not tag2:                 #tag1, !#tag2
    tag1 or anything that's not tag2 : #tag1 !#tag2

# Wildcard searches
    anything starting with auto : #auto*
    anything starting with auto but nothing starting with plane: #auto*, !#plane*

You can execute the search in one of two ways:

• Place the cursor on a search line (no need to hit the search spec) and press ctrl + enter
    • Press ALT and double-click in a search line

In the animation below, the mouse was used.

zk_mode_demo

• edited April 10

Thanks Very much Rene!

"ctrl shift alt f" add fuzzy search for words in all articles.

Sadyn

• Awesome!! Thanks @rene

• edited April 10

Just want to chime in with my MMD affection to make sure MMD's super features are honored properly and we're all on the same page :)

• making 45[# expand to a citation like [48][#Ahrens2017] won't work with references that contain spaces, e.g. [See p. 48 and 78][#Ahrens2017], while the "move the cursor afterwards" thing wouldn't distinguish between these cases. (I'd prefer the latter.)
    • I detest the other way 'round, like [#foo][123] :) I don't know why. Both are valid syntax, though.
    • MMD will link to a reference item as a whole when you use [][#citekey] or [#citekey][]1; If you want to add an entry to the list of references without placing a footnote/citation anywhere, there also is the special string [Not Cited][#citekey], by the way.

1. I use the version with the empty bracket pair last, [#citekey][], to denote "this is a whole-reference citation" while preferring to put page numbers first if needed, [123][#citekey], if anyone is interested. Maybe this convention is why I don't like to put page numbers last: I then cannot infer from looking at the 2nd character what kind of citation that is. As if that ever mattered. (It didn't.) :sweat_smile: 

Author at Zettelkasten.de • http://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    Just want to chime in with my MMD affection to make sure MMD's super features are honored properly and we're all on the same page :)

• making 45[# expand to a citation like [48][#Ahrens2017] won't work with references that contain spaces, e.g. [See p. 48 and 78][#Ahrens2017], while the "move the cursor afterwards" thing wouldn't distinguish between these cases. (I'd prefer the latter.)
    • I detest the other way 'round, like [#foo][123] :) I don't know why. Both are valid syntax, though.
    • MMD will link to a reference item as a whole when you use [][#citekey] or [#citekey][][^fn1]; If you want to add an entry to the list of references without placing a footnote/citation anywhere, there also is the special string [Not Cited][#citekey], by the way.

[^fn1]: I use the version with the empty bracket pair last, [#citekey][], to denote "this is a whole-reference citation" while preferring to put page numbers first if needed, [123][#citekey], if anyone is interested. Maybe this convention is why I don't like to put page numbers last: I then cannot infer from looking at the 2nd character what kind of citation that is. As if that ever mattered. (It didn't.) :sweat_smile:

Thank you @ctietze , your MMD affection, expertise, and practice are really valuable here.

At the moment, I am in a bit of a Faust situation:

And here, poor fool, I stand once more,
    No wiser than I was before

But, as always, will get there ... eventually :smile:

• Good call, @ctietze, in distinguishing between single- and multi-page citations.

I tend to cite single pages or page ranges, such as [48-51], so I neglected to consider more complicated possibilities.

So, I agree with you both that the "move the cursor afterwards" option (if we want to call it that) could certainly work.