Zettelkasten Forum

Rene's SublimeText for Zettelkasten - Package, Talk and more

Comments

• @mediapathic said:

Do you... do you ever sleep?

Yes :smile: , when nobody's looking :tongue:

• @rene said:

Hope this is useful :wink:

This is fabulous. Exactly what I had in mind. This also allows me to experiment a bit more easily with other template elements that might be useful. My current string is
    "new_note_template": "---\nuid: {id}\ntags: \n---\n\n# {title}"
    Which gets me

---
    uid: 201711150435
    tags: 
    ---

# 201711150435 Black Line Ride

Thanks again so much!

• edited November 2017

@mediapathic said:

@rene said:

Hope this is useful :wink:

This is fabulous. Exactly what I had in mind. This also allows me to experiment a bit more easily with other template elements that might be useful. My current string is
    "new_note_template": "---\nuid: {id}\ntags: \n---\n\n# {title}"

Damn cool feature. I think another way to handle this is with Snippets (I think plugins can provide their own snippets?) -- maybe someone should setup a Zettel Snippet Library.

@rene said:

@mediapathic said:

Do you... do you ever sleep?

Yes :smile: , when nobody's looking :tongue:

The question is: do you dream of python sheep? ;)

• Due to popular demand (by wangeleile from Github) :smile: note templates can make use of one more field: {origin} which will hold the id of the note that was (last) active when creating a new note ([shift]+[enter] or [[implicit note creation via title]]).

Example:

• You are in note 201701010101
    • you hit [shift]+[enter]
    • you enter the title for the new note
    • new note might become eg note 201702020202.

The new note then has {id} = 201702020202 and {origin} = 201701010101. :smile:

wangeleile's example was to use:

"new_note_template": "---\nuid: {id}\ntags: \n# Verknüpfungen\n - [[{origin}]]\n---\n",

which would produce note headers like this:

---
    uid: 201711162321
    tags: 
    # Verknüpfungen
     - [[201711162320]]
    ---

• @toolboxen said:
    Damn cool feature. I think another way to handle this is with Snippets (I think plugins can provide their own snippets?) -- maybe someone should setup a Zettel Snippet Library.

Not so much a snippet type myself, never found a pressing need for them so I can't even tell how powerful they might be. That said, I bet the {origin} field would be tricky for them

The question is: do you dream of python sheep? ;)

No, but I do count them just before :wink:

• @rene said:
    Due to popular demand (by wangeleile from Github) :smile: note templates can make use of one more field: {origin} which will hold the id of the note that was (last) active when creating a new note ([shift]+[enter] or [[implicit note creation via title]]).

now this is fancy... good improvement to the plugin.

• Another one inspired by wangeleile from Github:

The setting insert_links_with_titles (true or false, false by default) will alter the way links to notes are inserted by the plugin (by [[ or autocomplete or [[implicit creation via title link]]):

`insert_links_with_titles` is `true`:
    [[199901012359]] and note title

`insert_links_with_titles` is `false`:
    [[199901012359]]

Side-note: He originally wanted note title insertion after the [[201710281838]] link when finishing auto-complete with [alt]+[enter] instead of [enter]. However, SublimeTexts's auto-complete does not support this: instead it queries the plugin for auto-completion suggestions and handles the rest itself, so we cannot distinguish whether a selection was made by pressing enter or any other key. (apart from pressing alt will make the suggestions go away anyway). So as a compromise, this setting was created. I am banking on the assumption that people who want titles after links prefer them in pretty much all circumstances and are happy to delete them where they don't fit.

• edited November 2017

And for text-producers, here is another awesome feature :smiley:

Manual note link expansion: When you're inside a [[201710281638]] link, just press [ctrl]+[.] (my way of saying "...") or use ZK: Expand Link inline from the command palette and the linked-to note will be inserted into your note just as it would be with overview note expansion. [but the line containing the link will be preserved]

Example from the README:
    Let's start with our first note:

# The rise of the machines
    tags = #AI #world-domination

Machines are becoming more and more intelligent and powerful.

This might reach a point where they might develop a consciensce of their own.

As a consequence, they might turn evil and try to kill us all ........... [[201710282118]]

Now if you put your cursor inside the [[201710282118]] link and press [ctrl]+[.], the text will change into this:

# The rise of the machines
    tags = #AI #world-domination

Machines are becoming more and more intelligent and powerful.

This might reach a point where they might develop a consciensce of their own.

As a consequence, they might turn evil and try to kill us all ........... [[201710282118]]

<!-- !    [[201710282118]] AI is going to kill us all    -->
    # AI is going to kill us all
    tags =

<!-- (End of note 201710282118) -->

(We've never actually written anything into the linked note. Usually there would be lots of text)

btw: can be un-done with [ctrl/cmd]+[z] :smile:

Innit cute? :wink:

• Dang, this is moving very fast! Amazing job. This is super useful for cross-platform app recommendations. Go Rene!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Hey Rene, wow this addon is really growing fast and it helps me very well with my still small Zettelkasten.

• edited November 2017

@wangeleile said:
    Hey Rene, wow this addon is really growing fast and it helps me very well with my still small Zettelkasten.

Yeah, thanks, that's what it is here for. To help both you and your Zettelkasten grow. The addon evolves with us and our Zettelkästen :smile:

@ctietze said:
    Dang, this is moving very fast! Amazing job. This is super useful for cross-platform app recommendations. Go Rene!

:smile: Yo, here I go:

Advanced Tag Search is here :smile:

I still have to update the README but in short:

The new command palette command ZK: Search for tag combination will prompt for tag combinations to search for.

The syntax is:

#search #for #tags !#but !#not !#for !#these

As usual,

• ag will be used if present
    • external search file will show results

Output will look like this:

Notes matching tagspec #sublime_zk !#text-production

[[201711111707]] Sublime ZK is awesome
    [[201711111708]] Sublime ZK is great

Photographic proof :smile:

click to enlarge

Post edited by rene on
  • @rene said:
    :smile: Yo, here I go:

Advanced Tag Search is here :smile:

I still have to update the README but in short:

Woooooah. Nice!

Also, first bug report! (I am maybe refreshing this page more often than is necessary)

I'm getting some cases where it's not returning any results. I don't have time to do extensive testing right now, but at first blush it looks like it's only returning results if there is at least one ! involved. E.g.:

I have

#clocks
     #clocksnotes
     #clockstxt

("Clocks" is the project name for a novel. I have some fragments of the novel itself in my zettel as #clockstxt and the book bible as #clocksnotes)

If I do #clocks !#clockstxt I get the expected results, which is everything #clocksnotes. However, if I just search for #clocks I get nothing. Like, the search results window doesn't even update.

Let me know if there's any more testing I can do when I'm not running off to a meeting.

• edited November 2017

@mediapathic said:

Also, first bug report! (I am maybe refreshing this page more often than is necessary)

I'm getting some cases where it's not returning any results. I don't have time to do extensive testing right now, but at first blush it looks like it's only returning results if there is at least one ! involved. E.g.:

I have

#clocks
     #clocksnotes
     #clockstxt

("Clocks" is the project name for a novel. I have some fragments of the novel itself in my zettel as #clockstxt and the book bible as #clocksnotes)

If I do #clocks !#clockstxt I get the expected results, which is everything #clocksnotes. However, if I just search for #clocks I get nothing. Like, the search results window doesn't even update.

Thanks! Good catch! :+1: I could re-produce it: If there is at least one markdown file that cannot be recognized as a note (not starting with a 12-digit note id) it broke the search. It worked when having a ! involved because then these files got ignored. It is fixed now :smile: -- tell me if it works for you now, too.

• Just a little one but maybe relevant for text production. We now support highlighting for [@pandoc] and [ref. @pandoc] references.

I switched from placing [^citekey] footnotes to pandoc [@citekey] and [see @citekey], [vgl. @citekey], etc.

The footnotes were handy for:

• .bib-file-less citations
    • markdown preview (alt-m)

I don't find the handy footnote approach flexible enough anymore, especially when producing text, because then I need "real" citations.

Markdown preview doesn't support bibtex citations, so for preview I now use a simple build command triggered with [cmd]+[b] that performs a pandoc conversion from markdown to html into a temp folder and opens a browser (if not already running) with the resulting file. Because pandoc puts in references itself, I had to comment out my references in the notes.

So my notes changed from:

# title
    tags = #tag1 #tag2

Text referencing a great article[^citekey].

<!-- References -->
    [^citekey]: Reference

To

# title
    tags = #tag1 #tag2

This is a great concept [see @citekey].

<!-- References
    [@citekey]: Reference
    -->

I don't mind the side-effect of having references in comment-color, distracts less from the main text.

Note that @citekey itself does not trigger highlighting. Only when the citekey is inside a pair of square brackets, optionally preceded by some letters, colons and dots.

• Just so that nobody is left in the dark: @wangeleile suggested an upgrade to the {origin} field in new note templates. Not following his suggestion exactly, origin has now been split into {origin_id} and {origin_title} to fill in the ID and title of the original note respectively. The old {origin} is still valid and equivalent to {origin_id}

• edited November 2017

News from the README :smile:

This awesome feature was suggested by @wangeleile as well :+1:

We have auto-completion for cite-keys!

Automatic Bibliographies

It is common practice to keep local bibliographies in your notes. This makes each note self-contained and independent of .bib files. Manually maintaining a list of all your cited sources can be tedious and error-prone, especially in the case of long notes with many citations. Provided you have configured ["bibfile": "/path/to/zotero.bib",] a .bib file, then this plugin can take care of all your citations for you.

In any note with citations:

• just bring up the command palette with [ctrl]+[shift]+[p] (or [cmd]+[shift]+[p] on macOS)
    • type zk to see all the Zettelkasten commands
    • and select ZK: Auto-Bib

This will add a long comment to your note in the following format (line wrapping added for github manually):

<!-- references (auto)

[@AhrensHowTakeSmart2017]: Ahrens, Sönke. 2017. _How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique
    to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers_. 1st ed.
    CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.

[@FastZettelkastenmethodeKontrollieredein2015]: Fast, Sascha, and Christian Tietze. 2015.
    _Die Zettelkastenmethode: Kontrolliere dein Wissen_. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.

-->

The animation below shows how handy this is :smile:

autobib

Note: You don't have to cite in the [@pandoc] notation. If a cite-key is in your text, it will get picked up. However, the generated references section will use the [@pandoc] notation.

WARNING: Do not write below the generated bibliography. Everything after <!-- references (auto) will be replaced when you re-run the command!

Note: This will only work if pandoc is installed and on your path.

• Wow. I am impressed. Looking forward to put it to the acid test. :smile:

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    Wow. I am impressed. Looking forward to put it to the acid test. :smile:

Be careful when handling harmful substances. :wink:

Eg I found that auto-completing a cite-key does not work when typing the @ symbol. It's decorative anyway - but still: SublimeText behaves a bit weird in that case: It just auto-completes with the top-most suggestion; most often a note-link.

Also, @wangeleile had/has an issue with the auto-bib feature and it appears he has pandoc but not pandoc-citeproc installed / in the PATH.

Unlikely to occur on a Mac though :tongue:

• @ctietze suggested an improvement to the .bib file lookup which is now implemented in this way:

• if there is a .bib file in your note archive, it will be used automatically -- no configuration needed :blush:
    • if none is found, then the settings are queried
    • if both a .bib file is found and one is configured in the settings, the .bib file in the archive will always take precedence

That can come in handy when you have some archives with dedicated .bib files and a general .bib for not-so-special archives :smile:

Thanks to @ctietze for this thoughtful suggestion! :+1:

• To rehabilitate @wangeleile : His pandoc environment was perfectly fine. The pandoc code in the plugin was just not Windows friendly.

• If you thought text editors are just for text - think again :wink:

News from the README

Inline Local Image Display

Markdown notes are great! Especially because they are text-based. Sometimes, though, they contain images. Well, links to images: you only see them when you convert your note into a format that supports images.

Thanks to this plugin, you can now even view your local images directly in SublimeText:

• just bring up the command palette with [ctrl]+[shift]+[p] (or [cmd]+[shift]+[p] on macOS)
    • type show
    • select ZK: Show Images

Note: This only works with images stored in your note archive folder (or a subfolder thereof).

You can configure a size limit for images to make sure big ones don't cover all your screen: Larger images will always be scaled to not exceed the maximum width.

The default setting limits images to be 320 pixels wide:

"img_maxwidth": 320,

To hide them:

• bring up the command palette with [ctrl]+[shift]+[p] (or [cmd]+[shift]+[p] on macOS)
    • type show
    • select ZK: Hide Images

inline_imgs

• edited November 2017

Heyyyy guess what? The image thing isn't working for me. I get no change in the file at all. The file I'm trying looks like this:

---
    uid: 201711170403
    tags: 
    ---

# 201711170403 Lebbeus Woods
    ![woods](img/2010-02-22-14.03.52-LebbeusWoods.jpg)  

[Berlin Underground Movie Treatment]([[201711140130]])

And previews correctly in Marked2. Is there maybe another package that needs to be installed for ST to display images inline?

• @mediapathic said:
    Heyyyy guess what? The image thing isn't working for me. I get no change in the file at all. The file I'm trying looks like this:

---
    uid: 201711170403
    tags: 
    ---

# 201711170403 Lebbeus Woods
    ![woods](img/2010-02-22-14.03.52-LebbeusWoods.jpg)  

[Berlin Underground Movie Treatment]([[201711140130]])

And previews correctly in Marked2. Is there maybe another package that needs to be installed for ST to display images inline?

Interesting. Maybe the code I use for determining the image size does not recognize your image. The plugin does not depend on other plugins.

Can you try to test another image to verify this? But most often it's silly little other things...

Do you get anything in the sublime console?

• @rene said:
    Can you try to test another image to verify this? But most often it's silly little other things...

I made a test file that links to every image I have in there (about 10), and none worked.

Do you get anything in the sublime console?

Why yes in fact:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_plugin.py", line 818, in run_
        return self.run(edit)
      File "/Users/mediapathic/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/sublime_zk/sublime_zk.py", line 1309, in run
        ImageHandler.show_images(self.view, max_width)
      File "/Users/mediapathic/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/sublime_zk/sublime_zk.py", line 61, in show_images
        size  = get_image_size(img)
    NameError: global name 'get_image_size' is not defined

• sorry , my bad. please load again. i had been working with a cached function that has since moved and I didn't notice.

it should be fine now

• edited November 2017

@rene said

But most often it's silly little other things...

NameError: global name 'get_image_size' is not defined

@mediapathic it is defined now :smile:

• I was going to make a joke like "can you please develop all my software because you are so responsive" but I realized that I'm basically using nothing but ST with your plugin for 80% of my work, so that's more or less already the case.

By which I mean to say; it works great now! Thanks!

• @mediapathic said:
    I was going to make a joke like "can you please develop all my software because you are so responsive" but I realized that I'm basically using nothing but ST with your plugin for 80% of my work, so that's more or less already the case.

:blush: Wow, that's great to hear! Glad it is so useful to you! I'm not the only one really using it a lot :smile:. I'm honored :smile:

By which I mean to say; it works great now! Thanks!

Awesome :sunglasses::+1:

• Minor thing: It doesn't work with images with spaces in the filename. Not sure if that's a limitation you can overcome or not, Marked has the same issue. I'm not upset about this, just fyi.

• @mediapathic said:
    Minor thing: It doesn't work with images with spaces in the filename. Not sure if that's a limitation you can overcome or not, Marked has the same issue. I'm not upset about this, just fyi.

I don't like spaces in filenames :). The plugin relies on SublimeText's Markdown syntax to recognize the ![](...) as link to an image. With spaces in the filename, ST doesn't treat the filename as a filename anymore so the plugin can't find it. You will also notice that the text between the [brackets] will change its color as soon as you put a space into the filename. Theoretically, this could be overcome by defining my own search expression - but who knows how many edge other cases that will bring up :wink: .

Since Marked doesn't support it either and eg commonmark explicitly states:

[...] a sequence of zero or more characters between an opening < and a closing > that contains no spaces, line breaks, or unescaped < or > characters, or [...]

I tend to conclude that markdown isn't meant to support spaces in filenames.

In a way it makes sense, as links in markdown were

• seemingly meant for URLs mainly
    • The markdown spec allows for links with titles, where the title is separated from the filename by a space: This is [an example](http://example.com/ "Title") inline link.

So having a space in there and no quotes would be information enough to assume there is no title - so the whole could be treated as a filename... But to be honest: I would really recommend, if at all possible, to just get rid of the spaces in the filenames - makes life so much easier :smile: