Zettelkasten Forum

"Zettel" vs "note"

2»

Comments

• @Sascha said:

First, as an American (and, more particularly, a Californian), I must object to the casual use of "slip" in talking about the Zettel. "Slip" and "slip-box" are British English; as you know, George Bernard Shaw remarked that America and England were separated by a common language. So, here. In American English, it is a piece of paper.

Technically, "here" is Germany. :)

Why is the Forum in English?

• @Daveb08 said:

@Sascha said:

First, as an American (and, more particularly, a Californian), I must object to the casual use of "slip" in talking about the Zettel. "Slip" and "slip-box" are British English; as you know, George Bernard Shaw remarked that America and England were separated by a common language. So, here. In American English, it is a piece of paper.

Technically, "here" is Germany. :)

Why is the Forum in English?

Subversive world domination. :wink:

I am a Zettler

• The language to use should always be selected with optimal understanding for a specific target audience in mind. Word choice severely differ when talking to a group of rocket scientists, a bunch of teenagers or people with hearing difficulties.

The target audience for this forum is the world and the language used is not German nor American English or British English. It is a variant of English with the target audience in mind, which includes non-native speaker.

The question is not whether "slip" is British or American. The real question is whether such regionalisms can be avoided.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• Funnily enough I thought that "slip box" was an American term when I saw this word as I read the "How to make the Smart Notes" book since I had never heard of the term. I have always called these "card index boxes".

If you search amazon.co.uk you will not find anything that looks like a physical Zettelkasten for "slip box" but you will for "card index box".

Even odder is when I google for "slip box" I only find references to do with the Zettelkasten method.

• Technically and grammatically, "here" means "in this instance." No geography was involved.

• @Ut_opinor said:
    Technically and grammatically, "here" means "in this instance." No geography was involved.

You are there. I am here. Has EVERYTHING to do with geography....not just time.