Zettelkasten Forum

How do you do that cool link per line formatting thing?

This is a super silly question, but I'm going to wonder until I ask.

Every once in a while I see a screenshot, I think it's usually @sfast, with links that look like

This is a great note ................................................[[201901091407]]
This is a note that's even better ...................................[[201901091408]]

My question is, are you putting all of those ... in by hand and laboriously hand-crafting these, or is there some KM or other software trick you're using? It just looks so cool.

Comments

• @mediapathic said:
    My question is, are you putting all of those ... in by hand and laboriously hand-crafting these, or is there some KM or other software trick you're using? It just looks so cool.

YES, IT LOOKS COOL @ctietze. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

@mediapathic I have a snippet "qdot" turn into "...................." That makes it a bit easier. Other than that it is per hand. But it is really worth it when it comes to more complex structure notes. And it goes into muscle memory pretty fast. :smile:

• @sfast said:

YES, IT LOOKS COOL @ctietze. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I sense I have walked in on an ongoing debate...

@mediapathic I have a snippet "qdot" turn into "...................." That makes it a bit easier. Other than that it is per hand. But it is really worth it when it comes to more complex structure notes. And it goes into muscle memory pretty fast. :smile:

Thanks! I'll probably build that in Alfred and then add it to my list of why I should actually just by Keyboard Maestro. I'm going to have to name it something different though as I have a friend named qdot.

• It is not debate. I'd say that it is a one-sided butchering. But Christian will deny that fact I think. :smile:

A friend named qdot? What language? Or nickname?

• Hi!

or is there some KM or other software trick you're using? It just looks so cool.

I had the same thought, but was too lazy to set up a Keyboard Maestro macro. But after your post I finally created a macro.

It will only work if all your notes are in the same folder and contain "# 201901131856 Title" in the first line, that is a "#" sign, followed by a blank, followed by a twelve digit number, followed by a blank, finally followed by the title of the note.

If you select text that contains a twelve digit ID in every line and invoke the macro, every line will be transformed to a new line starting with the title, followed by dots, followed by the id in double brackets. In the following gif, the macro ins invoked twice.

The lines may contain more characters than only the twelve digit id, these characters will be overwritten.
    At the top of the macro, you have to set the path to your notes and the number of characters every line should have.

Cheers!

PS: I just noticed I can't upload the macro file, the forum tells me the file type is not allowed. Can we do something about that, @sfast?

dots.gif 797.1K
  • @cdguit Try a zip of the .kmmacros XML file. (Also maybe a screenshot like it used to be to reassemble :))

Author at Zettelkasten.de • http://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze Alright, the zip file seems to work. Thanks :smile:
    Should I link this post in the "The Archive and Keyboard Maestro" thread?

• Sure, go ahead! You may also create a new discussion with details so people asking for changes or help have a place to go.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • http://christiantietze.de/