Zettelkasten Forum

Mac OS keyboard text replacement not working?

I'm guessing the answer is just "it doesn't work," but I wanted to see if there was a setting I could change in The Archive to allow all my Mac OS text replacement macros to work. They work for me in Safari and mail and plain txt files, but not in The Archive. So when I type zk on any other app, my macro replaces it with zettelkasten, but that doesn't work here. Ideas?

Comments

• Update: it works in the Omnibar, just not in the text. These also don't work in Chrome, so maybe this is just a limitation I'll have to live with...or get some other macro program.

• If you are an Alfred user, you can use it to create “snippets” (they are like text replacement macros) that work everywhere.

• @joeglider Please check the Edit > Substitutions menu when your cursor is in the text editor. Could it be that the substitutions are off by default?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Heh, in almost exactly three years of using The Archive, I think I always assumed support for the system level text replacements had simply not been implemented. Since I do almost all of my text replacements with Keyboard Maestro, I never really bothered to investigate or file a feature request, but it's nice to have it enabled now. :smiley:

If text replacements are still not turned on for fresh installs of current The Archive builds, I think it would be good to change it.

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

• @ctietze said:
    @joeglider Please check the Edit > Substitutions menu when your cursor is in the text editor. Could it be that the substitutions are off by default?

HOT DANG THAT WORKED. I never noticed that Substitutions menu on the Mac before. Thank you!

• @Basil You're probably right. The system default behaved oddly back then, but in hindisght, that could've been my ignorance of the topic :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/