Zettelkasten Forum

Current State of the Art for bulk renaming files (Mac)?

I know there's been some discussion of this here, but 1) I can't find it and 2) things may have changed, so I'm asking again.

What's the current recommended tool for bulk renaming files in a ZK context? I want to experiment with this new bracket-based fogelzettel technique and to do so I want to bulk add bracketed categories based on search.

Need to have:
Change 202003251552 CLOCKS cool thing.md to 202003251552 {3} CLOCKS cool thing.md based on searching for CLOCKS in the title.

Would be nice to have, but not sure if feasible:
Search for every file that contains #clocks in the body and append a {3} after the UID in the title.

I feel like there was a wildly advanced renaming software that I think @ctietze mentioned that could do complex things like the latter. Did I just dream that?

Comments

• edited March 2020

I use a tool called MassReplaceIt from http://www.hexmonkeysoftware.com/.
    It is sophisticated and can use regex for finding a target and allows undoing if things go awry.
    Works with file names or file contents.

It seems perfectly suited to this task.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thanks @Will ! That's the one I was trying to remember!