Zettelkasten Forum

Current State of the Art for bulk renaming files (Mac)?

I know there's been some discussion of this here, but 1) I can't find it and 2) things may have changed, so I'm asking again.

What's the current recommended tool for bulk renaming files in a ZK context? I want to experiment with this new bracket-based fogelzettel technique and to do so I want to bulk add bracketed categories based on search.

Need to have:
Change 202003251552 CLOCKS cool thing.md to 202003251552 {3} CLOCKS cool thing.md based on searching for CLOCKS in the title.

Would be nice to have, but not sure if feasible:
Search for every file that contains #clocks in the body and append a {3} after the UID in the title.

I feel like there was a wildly advanced renaming software that I think @ctietze mentioned that could do complex things like the latter. Did I just dream that?

Comments

• edited March 2020

I use a tool called MassReplaceIt from http://www.hexmonkeysoftware.com/.
    It is sophisticated and can use regex for finding a target and allows undoing if things go awry.
    Works with file names or file contents.

It seems perfectly suited to this task.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thanks @Will ! That's the one I was trying to remember!