Zettelkasten Forum

2020-3: 1on1 Coaching Experiment

EDIT: NO LONGER ACTIVE!

Hi folks,

I have the following idea: I want to publicly coach and teach someone the Zettelkasten Method.

The process goes like this:

1. You create a GoogleDoc that is viewable for the public and give my writing access to it.
  2. You choose a topic, problem text or whatever you like. (I veto only if an issue is not possible for me to coach. I wouldn't be able to do something with mathematics)
  3. We then work on that problem up to a reasonable point. We treat the doc as if it was your whole Zettelkasten.

The aim is to let an actual problem be the guide to the good practices of the Zettelkasten Method.

If you are interested, present your micro-project. I will start with one Zettler at a time.

Post edited by Sascha on

I am a Zettler

Comments

• Hi @Sascha, I think a beginner video tutorial for the Zettelkasten workflow would be much faster to create than a 1 on 1 coaching documentation—and it's easier to internalize than text. What do you think?

• This idea sounds interesting!

What do you mean by "we then work on that problem"? Are you going to work with the other person in a session (e.g. through skype) or the document will be the only channel of communication?

• @improveism said:
    Hi @Sascha, I think a beginner video tutorial for the Zettelkasten workflow would be much faster to create than a 1 on 1 coaching documentation—and it's easier to internalize than text. What do you think?

We are already creating a comprehensive online course. :smile:

@wanderley said:
    This idea sounds interesting!

What do you mean by "we then work on that problem"? Are you going to work with the other person in a session (e.g. through skype) or the document will be the only channel of communication?

For now, the document would be the main channel of communication. GoogleDocs allows for good comment flow and a chat-like communication would emerge. But different time zones would complicate direct appointments unless you are quite near. I'd like to give everyone an equal chance. (for now)

"we then work on that problem" means the following: We process a book you read. We research a topic your are on. We analyse a study that you are comprehending. I'd be like a seasoned co-pilot on a journey.

In the end, there should be real results.

I am a Zettler

• currently i'm trying to process Nietzsche's "Genealogy of Morals" but the zettels, which i produce, are in german. Would that be a problem?

• Hello,
    my first post here.
    I really appreciate this forum: it is a great source of inspiration to learn more and do better in PKM, my sincere appreciation to the founders and organizers.

I'd like to know more how to participate in the 1-on-1 Zettelksten project.
    I am interested in Systems Thinking and Systems Practice, Design, and facilitation.
    I hope to get from the Zettelkasten method more focus and productivity for writing-while-reading on my blog at curatella.com
    Thanks,
    Max

• @wanderley

First come, first serve. I'll get to you the next week. (Got your DM)

@diogenes

Since I have a secret love affair with Nietzsche (don't tell my gf), we'll do it. Create a GoogleDoc and we'll start next week. In German is fine. Perhaps, it is time to do things in both languages. :smile:

@Massimo_Curatella

Next time. :smile:

I am a Zettler

• haha, nice, looking forward to it ;-)
    In order to give you acess to the document I would need your email-address!
    Could you send it to me per DM? @Sascha

• Apparently I forgot to post and am late to the party for the coaching but I would love for you to somehow take a look into something more technical at some point. All examples for Zettelkasten I came across so far are from softer subjects and I, coming from a CS and EE background, have struggled with applying the system to the more definition and formula heavy topics I work with.

If you @Sascha (or someone else maybe) would be interested in this, I could offer Judea Pearl's The Book of Why to work on. I have the feeling that it is technical enough to help shed some light in that direction but it doesn't feel as dense and dry as other books I have come across.

I could offer The Slow Professor by Magie Berg and Barbara K. Seeber or Taking smarter notes (from more of a how does learning work perspective).

This discussion has been closed.