Zettelkasten Forum

[Feature Request] Visible note history in Navigation Controls

When zettelkasting I find that I often want to go back to a note I was working with an hour ago. Often, it is not the last note I was working with. Who knows how far back in my history is the note I want to work with. I would be wonderful if like Chrome if you did a persistent click on the navigation it could show you your history of note access since the app launched and allow you to select the note you wanted to jump directly to it rather than having to select the back button a bunch of times.

Now I use the 'Omni Bar' and do a search to find the note in question. But this might be helpful in some circumstances.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Not sure if it would satisfy your use case (and there is a good chance you are already aware of what I am about to write), but if you sort your notes by "View->Sort by->Modification Date, Newest First", then the notes are automatically shown in the notes list in the order you last worked on them, which makes switching between most recently worked on notes very convenient.

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

• This may or may not be of any use, but I created a saved search called "favorites," and for each note that I want to return to, I insert a #favorite tag. Of course this saved search changes over time, but it helps me quickly navigate to the notes I need to reference in any particular moment no matter where they might sit in my archive.

• @Basil said:
    Not sure if it would satisfy your use case (and there is a good chance you are already aware of what I am about to write), but if you sort your notes by "View->Sort by->Modification Date, Newest First", then the notes are automatically shown in the notes list in the order you last worked on them, which makes switching between most recently worked on notes very convenient.

Yes! This is one way to work and I'll have to develop some new muscle memory and eye memory to look at the note list. It is becoming more and more apparent that I need to keep my eye on the note list as it provides a level of backlinking that I can take advantage of to reduce redundant linking. I usually keep my Sort by -> Modification Date -> Newest First but in some sessions, I use other sorting options. It sure would be nice if a Saved Search also saved the sorting selection with it.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com