Zettelkasten Forum

Hyperlinks above or beneath blockquote?

I am unsure of whether I should put the link to an online article I am quoting on top of the blockquote or beneath it?

Is this the better convention?

The Zettelkasten Method - LessWrong 2.0

However, I honestly didn’t think Zettelkasten sounded like a good idea before I tried it. It only took me about 30 minutes of working with the cards to decide that it was really good.

Or is there a good reason for rather doing it like this?

I think it might be important that when I sat down to try it, I had an idea I was excited to work on. […] It filled the fractal branches of a zettelkasten nicely, expanding in every direction.

The Zettelkasten Method - LessWrong 2.0

(I am talking about doing this on Zettel of course.)

Comments

• I would do neither but:

I think it might be important that when I sat down to try it, I had an idea I was excited to work on. […] It filled the fractal branches of a zettelkasten nicely, expanding in every direction.1

I am a Zettler

• edited October 2019

I am with Sascha on this one. Create inline citations for it. I myself like to store a snapshot of the online article in my reference manager (Zotero), so 1) it is always available and 2) it gets a standard citation format (in LaTeX format).

• Yes that's how it's usually done in academic writing and it lents itself very well to the flow of the text. It should be used.

The problem I have with that method is one of UX. Now I have to click two times to follow the link to the other resource.

For that reason as well as reasons of writing, I still want to use the other method I showed in my OP. Is there anything possibly to be said on the original question "above or below?"

• Well, there's no blockquote police waiting for violations of an unknown international law, so ... :)

I prefer to put it below, just like you would with names when quoting someone, e.g. in an epigraph:

The note is super cool, and here is a quote:

Cool is he who does cool stuff.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Perikles said:
    Yes that's how it's usually done in academic writing and it lents itself very well to the flow of the text. It should be used.

The problem I have with that method is one of UX. Now I have to click two times to follow the link to the other resource.

For that reason as well as reasons of writing, I still want to use the other method I showed in my OP. Is there anything possibly to be said on the original question "above or below?"

Sometimes I just paste the link after that when I am sloppy. But it can work faster if you are willing to postpone the editing:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. - This Post https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/712/hyperlinks-above-or-beneath-blockquote#latest

I am a Zettler