Zettelkasten Forum

Use this thread to share what ideas you are wrestling with in your ZK? - May 20, 2023

edited May 2023 in Your Current Projects

How has your week been? What are your plans for the coming week? Tell us about the state of your zettelkasting journey.

I'll start.

I'm reading some lightweight new books:

• Jalāl al-Dīn Rūmī and Gafori, Haleh Liza. Gold, Simon and Schuster. 2022.
  • Faulkner, Grant. The art of brevity: crafting the very short story, Prometheus Books. 2023.

I've released the pressure cooker steam that I put myself in by taking a graduate-level writing seminar on food. since the class ended, the floodgates burst, doubling the time spent in the garden of my ZK. Some of my structure and sub-hub notes have gotten large, and I find I'm looking at refactoring them. Thinking about structure note size, I'm not sure smaller is better in the age of fast search. I have a bunch of search tools/extensions that help focus link creation and finding stuff for the output side of zettelkasting. A technique I'm stealing from someone on the forums is when placing a note on a structure note to look closer at links already on the structure note for link candidates. The fact that they are placed in a particular section of a structure note means the note is surrounded by ideas that relate. Or maybe I can figure out a way to link to a section of structure notes. (I already have a method of linking to a specific place in a note but don't use it in this workflow.)

Python programming continues to be exciting, and having a large collection of notes as a playground has been fruitful. I've expanded "Idea Explorer" to provide more information about a note thread. It now has tabs for the "Tag Map" and a tab with all the one-sentence summaries of the notes listed together. I continue to work with trending for my ZK dashboard. Part of which is behind "My Ten-day Zettel Production."

Once again, writing precedes my thinking.

My ten-day zettel production.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited May 2023

Beats me. Unbeknownst to this forum, I'm a bibliomaniac and a librocubicularist. I purchased what are supposed to be the two currently indispensable books for understanding India and I'm reading them:

https://lccn.loc.gov/2022019311
    Mody, Ashoka, author. India is broken : a people betrayed, independence to today / Ashoka Mody. Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, 2023.

https://lccn.loc.gov/2021006333
    Jaffrelot, Christophe, author. lnde de Modi. English Modi's India : Hindu nationalism and the rise of ethnic democracy / Christophe Jaffrelot ; translated by Cynthia Schoch. Princeton : Princeton University Press, [2021]

https://lccn.loc.gov/2021058949
    Rosiak, Daniel, author. Sheaf theory through examples / Daniel Rosiak. Cambridge, Massachusetts : The MIT Press, [2022] x, 443 pages : illustrations

And others I am reluctant to mention. I might pick up one of @Will's references on flash fiction.

Post edited by ZettelDistraction on

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• I’m wrestling with how to fit ZK into my current workflow. Is the time investment worth it? I have developed my own weird workflows. I like to manipulate index cards: spread them out, shuffle them, put them in patterns. I use shorthand (right-to-left gregg as I’m left-handed, so like reading a book in a mirror). Neither of these is conducive to the digital world. On the other hand, I have no desire to collect index cards, so I need a digital solution.

Maybe I’ll just use erasable medium and scan my cards :P i just don’t think anything exists to shuffle cards in current notetaking apps.

• edited May 2023

Hey, I've been reading this forum for a while now but never posted because I wasn't doing anything at all. Eventually understanding the workflow which is not the current PKM hype is explaining, I can finally participate.

I'm reading the below book. I think it can be a great entry point for my interests. I will use this book as the first basis of my endeavors.

Cozolino, L. (2017). The neuroscience of psychotherapy: Healing the social brain (3rd ed.). W W Norton & Co.

I'm wrestling with empirical papers in neuroscience. They mention tons of brain regions which I'm
    trying to create catalogues of. I will use for instance TPJ page to see which papers include that region from backlinks. I try to do a similar thing for methods. Thus I create both literature notes and zettels.

I have to come up with a research question and track its expansions, future directions etc., the social network of research questions, but I haven't read enough papers for it. I use the above method to track all of them but probably I will need a mindmap for this. I'm planning to integrate Obsidian Canvas to this endeavor of mine.

I'm interested in chatting with those who are dealing with similar things. I'm a real beginner both in ZK and neuroscience.

Selen. Psychology freak. https://twitter.com/neuro__flow

“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.”

― Ursula K. Le Guin

• @c4lvorias If this is your first post - welcome to the forum! Lots of good ideas floating around here. If you are unfamiliar with ZK, have a look at the "Getting Started" material, linked from https://zettelkasten.de/

• I inadvertently pre-ordered a physical hardcover book instead of a Kindle eBook: "Fancy Bear Goes Phishing: the Dark History of the Information Age, in Five Extraordinary Hacks," by Scott J. Shapiro. The author is a Yale Law Professor who teaches a course on cybercrime. This is a well-written, occasionally humorous, and carefully researched book. Good thing I ordered an unhackable hard copy.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards