Zettelkasten Forum

Hello, I’m Nori

Hi, I have been lurking around for a while now, really enjoying the discussions, so I thought it might be time to introduce myself.

I am a originally from Slovakia, but have been living in Norway for a decade now. I’m a researcher in data analysis, working with a lot of machine learning, and like to learn about a variety of things in my free time too. My interests range from the biophysics of movement through diet, pregnancy and childbirth, to neurodiversity, gardening, parenting, knowledge work and whatever else that catches my interest.

I have first heard about the Zettelkasten method about two months ago and it was a love at first sight. I always struggled with organising my notes and the organically organised chaos of Zettelkasten just makes perfect sense to me.

I started out using Obsidian. That is actually how I ran into the Zettelkasten, as I was originally only looking for a simple markdown editor. After a month and a hundred notes I could feel this was becoming very important to me and decided to move to an open source software instead - namely org-roam in Emacs. I’m new to Emacs, but fairly stubborn, so I have been steadily climbing its famously steep learning curve and I think I’m quite happy with my choice. The time when my Zettelkasten was hanging between the two systems, so to speak, was quite uncomfortable though.

I haven’t quite landed with my note-taking routines yet, but I have the most important bits in place. I use my trusted Bullet Journal for planning, journaling, tracking and fleeting notes, while any “knowledge” goes into the Zettelkasten with Zotero keeping track of the references.

I am very excited to see how things will evolve and looking forward to the interesting discussions here on the forum.

Comments

• Wow. One of those mystical emacs user. :) I thought I was one until I wasn't. Now, I wonder if this was all a dream.

Happy zettling!

I am a Zettler

• @Nori, welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing your areas of interest. Please keep us posted on your ZK adventures. We'd love to hear how you are capturing ideas and how you put them to use.

Welcome.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Nori I'll add a "welcome" as well. I liked your description of a ZK as "organically organized chaos". It has a nice ring to it, and maybe for some of us, it's an apt term :wink:

• edited March 2023

Thank you all for the nice welcome!

@Sascha, What was it that led you away from emacs? I’m quite curious about the people who “left the cult”, because as a newbie I find it a bit disconcerting how people talk about it like it’s the best thing under the sun. I enjoy it so far and like a lot of the features, but that level of (what seems like uncritical) dedication makes me wonder a bit if it’s just Stockholm syndrome for some people 😄

@Will, thank you for your welcome 😊 Btw, I really enjoy your weekly threads, I find them very motivational and inspiring.

@GeoEng51 thank you! So far that “organically organised chaos” seems to describe well both my Zettelkasten and my brain, so I think it’s a good fit 😊

• @Sascha, What was it that led you away from emacs? I’m quite curious about the people who “left the cult”, because as a newbie I find it a bit disconcerting how people talk about it like it’s the best thing under the sun. I enjoy it so far and like a lot of the features, but that level of (what seems like uncritical) dedication makes me wonder a bit if it’s just Stockholm syndrome for some people 😄

It was just to much annoying work on my init-file even for minor changes. (I didn't use it for my Zettelkasten. Just for my project- and taskmanagement)

I am a Zettler

• Welcome, Nori!

Glad to see another emacs/org-roam user here.....and you should try org-roam, when you feel like it.....

I started using emacs/org-roam about 2 years ago and really like it a lot.

It does take some time to get fully acquainted and comfortable with it.

To make it easier for me, I took two emacs courses online at Udemy. Very helpful.

Then I took Rainer Konigs great org-mode course. It really helped me understand how you can get a lot of productivity from emacs/org-mode.

Since then I found some good resources regarding using org-mode and org-roam for Zettelkasten purposes.

See you around the forums.

Best,

Mark
    Silicon Valley (but not a high tech guy....)