Zettelkasten Forum

Chat GPT describes zettelkasten.

I thought folks around here might enjoy seeing how the chat gpt ai responded when I asked it describe a zettelkasten. Here it is without modification.

Describe a zettelkasten.
A zettelkasten is a system for organizing and storing notes and ideas. It is a physical or digital collection of individual notes, or "slips," that are connected and organized in a way that allows for easy access and retrieval.

The zettelkasten system was developed by the German sociologist and philosopher Niklas Luhmann, who used it to store and organize his notes and ideas as he wrote and researched. The name "zettelkasten" comes from the German word "zettel," which means "slip," and "kasten," which means "box."

In a zettelkasten, each note is given a unique identification number and can be linked to other notes through the use of cross-references. This allows for the creation of a web of interconnected ideas that can be easily navigated and explored.

The zettelkasten system has gained popularity in recent years as a tool for organizing and managing knowledge, particularly among writers and researchers. It is seen as a way to facilitate creative thinking and problem-solving by allowing for the easy access and retrieval of ideas and information.

Comments

• @Perry_Clayton said:
    I thought folks around here might enjoy seeing how the chat gpt ai responded when I asked it describe a zettelkasten. Here it is without modification.

Describe a zettelkasten.
    A zettelkasten is a system for organizing and storing notes and ideas. It is a physical or digital collection of individual notes, or "slips,"

@scottscheper is triggered (The true form of the ZKM is physical/analog)

that are connected and organized in a way that allows for easy access and retrieval.

@Sascha is triggered (easy access and retrieval is the most superficial layer of the ZKM)

The zettelkasten system was developed by the German sociologist and philosopher Niklas Luhmann, who used it to store and organize his notes and ideas as he wrote and researched.

@chrisaldrich is triggered (The ZKM is embedded in a long tradition connected to the common place book)

The name "zettelkasten" comes from the German word "zettel," which means "slip," and "kasten," which means "box."

In a zettelkasten, each note is given a unique identification number and can be linked to other notes through the use of cross-references.

@Obsidian is triggered. ("I take care for the stability of connections. No ID needed")

This allows for the creation of a web of interconnected ideas that can be easily navigated and explored.

The zettelkasten system has gained popularity in recent years as a tool for organizing and managing knowledge, particularly among writers and researchers. It is seen as a way to facilitate creative thinking and problem-solving by allowing for the easy access and retrieval of ideas and information.

ME = TRIGGERED.

:trollface:

I am a Zettler

• First, a serious response. Very interesting. Thanks from a lurker for the posting.

And, my gut response - "chat gpt ai" - from the writer in me, triggered!

Seriously, I worry about the fate of cognition now that we're on a this path. I think any written work should stand as the author's exercise of an authoritative view. That might be authority over facts, interpretation, or in the case of humor, insight into poor humankind's foibles and fortes.

We are moving into a world where we trust algorithms to do our thinking for us.

Consider what it means to be a sentient individual, something I sense the participants here hold in respect. I am predictable, in that I don't steal, I like fountain pens, and many other attributes that serve as a framework for what I do next.

But what I do next isn't deterministic. How I employ the components of my soul tomorrow is not predictable. AI is deterministic under the hood. People are predictable, in the macro, but if you think they are deterministic, try telling your significant other how wonderfully anti-spontaneous he or she is at parties.

Or so I assume. I've never said anything like that to my SO. I can't speak from experience, except for still having a significant other. :)

@Perry_Clayton said:

• The whole point about intelligence is that you don't spoon-feed everything. Artificial or not, intelligence is a black-box and it's behaviour non-deterministic.

Our trust in authority can be fooled easily, this problem is not new. We've always been influenced by others, caring about their opinions and our own. ChatGPT is a very convincing liar, its output is coherent. Without knowing any better I couldn't say whether it is telling the truth or not, despite my efforts of interrogating. But artificial or not, we'll always need to question our thinking. I believe that AI is just going to make humanity think faster and deeper about the problems we solve.

Also, taking the above example as reference, it appears so as if we could finally get rid of all typos and spelling errors.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• @zk_1000 Appreciating the caveats you have given, I would still much rather read about a topic on say Wikipedia, where the material has been written by real people and revised by other real people.