Zettelkasten Forum

Big Quick Entry Window with KBM?

Hi Zettlers,

I am at the limits of my knowledge: Is there a possibility to create a bigger entry window in Keyboard Maestro? My goal is to somehow create a quick entry window (append text to file).

Many thanks in advance.
Sascha

I am a Zettler

Comments

• @Sascha, I don't think the "Prompt user for Input" field can be larger. There are other methods, though. You could open the file in a smaller window of a specific app and use a "Type a KeyStroke" to place the cursor at the bottom (append) of the file ready for input.

This GIF is not much to look at, the action happens so quickly, but it shows me launching the macro, and then I'm placed at the end of the document and can type what I want, quit the app, and move on.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• This is what I thought how I'd work around. A very strange limitation to me.. :(

But I think after reviewing GTD again, perhaps I will use the inbox of things and then process whatever I captured from there.

I wanted a bigger entry frame because I often capture short texts and little lines of thought.

I am a Zettler

• I feel the freedom to open and add to the bottom of a file brings to a workflow is better than a bigger text input box. Opening the file puts you quickly in a familiar, comfortable place with standard tools and workflows—lists, tabs, emphasis, etc.

Also, if you suddenly thought of a change you wanted to make to the new idea and wanted to make a quick update or correction to the last thing, you couldn't do that with the "Prompt User for Input." action.

It seems strange that you wouldn't be implementing this with org-mode.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• It seems strange that you wouldn't be implementing this with org-mode.

That's a sore spot for me. :D I lost 2 weeks to Emacs and Orgmode just to get it going. After that any adaption took me a day. I am not young any more and need to pick my fights more carefully now.

I am a Zettler

• I, too, am old and feel it. Picking fights carefully is a learned skill. I'm still learning. My ZK habits help.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• While opening a file and directly appending text to it is more elegant, I've come up with a larger text entry box that Keyboard Maestro will use as a variable that can be appended to a file or used in any other way.

Try it out. Add an "append to file" action at the end and point it at your file. Use %Variable%Quick Note% as explained in the README. Let me know if you want any modifications.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• Many thanks! I'll try it out. Works so far.

I am a Zettler

• @Will said:
    While opening a file and directly appending text to it is more elegant, I've come up with a larger text entry box that Keyboard Maestro will use as a variable that can be appended to a file or used in any other way.

I can get the macro to append some text to the end of a file. That might be useful, on occasion, although it would be nice if the macro prompted for the file name/location.

To what other uses would you put this macro? Is it simply to enter a large amount of text into a variable, for use elsewhere in KeyBoard Maestro?

Thanks for continuing to support the forum members with different macros, by the way - we all benefit from you having fun :smile:

• @GeoEng51 said:
    That might be useful, on occasion, although it would be nice if the macro prompted for the file name/location.

Prompting for a file is trivial with Keyboard Maestro. I've added the actions and created a link. Watch for file type collisions.

Quick Input Form v.2

To what other uses would you put this macro?

I'm not sure. I don't use this macro. As I've said before in this thread, if there was a file I regularly appended text to, I'd use Keyboard Maestro to open it in my favorite editor and place the cursor, ready for input, formatted correctly at the bottom of the file. But I currently don't do this. I do something similar with "Reading Candidates" only. Rather than type the title, I copy and paste. I do this to capture the exciting book references but not interrupt the flow of reading too much. Once or twice a week, I organize the titles by genera and cull the weaklings.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    As I've said before in this thread, if there was a file I regularly appended text to, I'd use Keyboard Maestro to open it in my favorite editor and place the cursor, ready for input, formatted correctly at the bottom of the file.

It is dawning to me that I'll have to submit to your wisdom. :)

I thought, I'd be able to just jot down my idea and move on. A medium sized window would be sufficient. But I always have to supress my urge to flesh out the idea and make sure that I can come back to it later and have a solid grip on it. But a capture is 100-250 words long. :/

I am a Zettler

• The more I train the habit of capturing (before that I searched the position I want to put the capture first) the more I realise that it is very rarely for me to capture a link with a short commentary.

It feels a little bit rude to have @Will offered a handmade solution and then don't use it even after such a short time.. Sorry, @Will.

My current iteration is what @Will suggested to do. I open an inbox file that will be automatically emptied into my TaskPaper Inbox. I also focus on Bike and hiding every window. So, I get a clean canvas to think:

I am a Zettler

• edited December 2022

@Sascha said:
    It feels a little bit rude to have @Will offer a handmade solution and then don't use it even after such a short time. Sorry, @Will.

You shouldn't feel the least bit rude. I can't count the times I've spent hours, days, and weeks, coding some magical workflow action only to use it once or twice and then discover the whole idea was a turd. I got the experience and incremental expertise to create the macro for you. The "Custom Floating HTML Prompt" action used in making the macro is claimed in the Keyboard Maestro forums to be the most advanced action in Keyboard Maestro, and now I've dipped my toes into the proverbial deep end and am swimming with the big boys.

It is me that wants to thank you.

I also focus on Bike and hiding every window. So, I get a clean canvas to think.

What is the "Bike" you are talking about?

Post edited by Will on

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:

https://www.hogbaysoftware.com/bike/

• @Will said
    You shouldn't feel the least bit rude. I can't count the times I've spent hours, or days and weeks, coding some magical workflow action only to use it once or twice and then discover the whole idea was a turd.

:heart:

@GeoEng51 said:

@Will said:

https://www.hogbaysoftware.com/bike/

Bike is currently the most nimble outliner on the market I think.

I am a Zettler