Zettelkasten Forum

Hello from Chile. Thanks for make this page.

Hi y'all. I'm a scientific researcher from Chile. I'm at the end of my Ph.D in math and computer science.

I want to thanks to this forum and to the person that create the blog. I've been using the Zettlekasten method from 7 months and it really, but really speed up my research.

During my bachelor I always tried to digitalice my physical notebooks (I use them to make summaries and draw my ideas) to avoid carry a lot of weight with me an to access to the information quickly. I tried to scanner them and store them in evernote but it was uncomfortable to read and there is no advantage over a physical notebook when I have to create new ideas.

At the beginning of the covid I was in my second year of my Ph.D. I search for methods to digitalice ideas and be more productive and I find the PARA method. I tried for a time using this method with Notion, but it was hard to administrate and I don't feel like new ideas were flowing, and I think it was no useful to learn new things. So I continued with my notebooks. At this point I had about 20 notebooks full of things, and a lot of printed papers, and it was hard to find something inside them.

This year I was really lucky. I had and problem with the software that I use in my research and while I was looking for a new software in the list of repositories of Pop Os! I found and software called "Zettlr". Its name call my attention and I found this blog/forum. I was in shock. It was all that I wanted!!!!

I immediately adopted the zettelkasten method to my routine. I uses the software Obsidian to store my Zettelkasten, at the beginning was a little hard to understand how connect the notes and what to note about. But after a while, I stopped to take the zettelkasten method literally, and adapted it to my own.

Now I have 650 notes in Zettelkasten. Most of them are summaries and new ideas I have during my research. The software Obsidian is other of the things that I love. I use it for write emails, plan trips, write draft of documents, store important documents, plan my talks, do minutes of meetings, etc.

My life change thanks to this method. I'm now in Spain doing a collaborative research and I have access to all my notes that I wrote in Chile without have to carry them in the plane. This year I had a lot pending projects, and now I ended most of them thanks to the Zettelkasten method, Obsidian and Zotero.

Thanks for all!

My notes

I just want to be an average huaso.

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, and congratulations you got all this into your new system! :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Welcome.

I started using Zettlr recently, and already found it to be really helpful. At some point I'll try Obsidian, but I don't want to switch softwares now in the middle of a semester.

In either software, the graph view is helpful to find unlinked notes. In programs without a graph view, you'd have to write code for it, go through your notes manually, or find unlinked notes by accident!!!

Good luck with your PhD.

• @CuyiProductivo Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Zettelkasten. Best of luck with your ongoing research - may it be enriched by your ZK!

• Willkommen und viel Spaß.

I am a Zettler

• @ctietze said:
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations you got all this into your new system! :)

Thanks for all!

• In either software, the graph view is helpful to find unlinked notes. In programs without a graph view, you'd have to write code for it, go through your notes manually, or find unlinked notes by accident!!!

The graph is the feature that I use less, the feature that I use most of obsidian is that I can see the backlinks under each note. Then, to create MOC of a subject I just create a empty note and It will show me all the note linked to that subject. This has been useful to find categories that I didn't have idea that I use them so much.

The another feature are the plugins, there a lot of them and each thing that I need I can search or create a new plugin about this. My favorite plugins are omnisearch, to search inside notes, Kanbas to manage my projects and Templator, to create scripts inside my notes.