Zettelkasten Forum

Tools for Thought as Cultural Practices, not Computational Objects

edited November 2022 in The Zettelkasten Method

Tools for Thought as Cultural Practices, not Computational Objects by Maggie Appleton is a nice read.

https://maggieappleton.com/tools-for-thought

We're a bit too early in the establishment of this concept for anyone to have written a canonical definition yet.

(I think I will gather some of my notes and shoot my shot for a definition)

I am a Zettler

Comments

• 'We’re already leveraging the power of “idea networks” in our personal lives - soon, they’ll transform the world of work' more...

• To share ideas, first we need tools

Interesting hypothesis. However, I think all components that make a tool need to present at the same moment.

Imagine the first hand axe that was made by hand by hitting some rocks against each other. In some way, you cannot distinguish the material that is manipulated by the tool and the tool itself. It is just a decision that realised that difference.

Reminds me of Schrödinger's cats.

I am a Zettler

• Re: It is just a decision that realised that difference.

Yes I agree, or at least all the aspects need to be close at hand to fashion a tool (or another take - maybe our minds & thus our decisions are really the tools?).

But getting back to the article you posted. Its a really great read, thanks for sharing it. It got me 'all fired up' (excited that is).

You know Sascha, you're really good at finding & then crucially, synthesizing information into a coherent whole. You should consider collecting your thoughts into a book.

Re: Schrödinger's cats

Yeah! :)

• @Mike_Sanders said:
    You know Sascha, you're really good at finding & then crucially, synthesizing information into a coherent whole. You should consider collecting your thoughts into a book.

Thanks. I am considering it. :)

I am a Zettler