Zettelkasten Forum

What were your success last week and your plans for this week? [Week 8]

Please share what small or large ZK successes you had in the past week. Please share your plans are for this coming week. Use this as a public responsibility thread. Use it to hold yourself accountable. Use this as a way to start a conversation.

Last Week

• Completed the initial processing of notes from the biography of John Cage Where The Heart Beats 202107261132.
  • Spent too much time fretting about the Science Profile assignment interview that never happened.
  • Looked again at Zettlr then settled back into The Archive.

This Week

• I'll add deep links and atomize Where The Heart Beats 202107261132. I'll start a second refactoring.
  • Attack Style: Toward Clarity And Grace 202111181949
  • Work in Keyboard Maestro, which just released version 10!
  • I plan to develop my workflow with The Archive as a poor man's Scrivener.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Last week's Zettelkasten success is related to a nifty insight I believe I've told a thousand times. It's related to @Sascha describing the separation of observation and interpretation many years ago. This still helps me figure things out.

For example this: for a simple web wiki I had need to re-use the regular expression from The Archive to detect wiki links. But with the new editor, this code wasn't part of the app anymore, so I had to look it up in the history. -- Because I didn't have a Zettel documenting this.

Why not, though?

• 202202180908 Inline image regex used in The Archive
    • 202202180903 Hashtag regex used in The Archive
    • 202202180856 Wiki link regex used in The Archive

So I've now documented (like observations) the regular expressions used in The Archive for wikilinks, hashtags, and inline image detection.

This works well as code snippets for later. But also as a potential point to discuss approaches. Because I know a couple of other regular expressions that intend to do the same, but with different features and edge cases. Taking note of these phenomena, these regexes as used in my app, opens up future discussion and refinement.

Yeah, it's always the same kind of insight: take note of something to improve it later.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• This week

• Making myself familiar with Typora. Moved from iA Writer and Folding Text.
    • Finalising the collection of principle for Zettelkasten.
    • Planing the first online meeting with the Beta-Readers.
    • Multiple appointments with my clients with some difficult stuff (After two hours of intense problem solving I am pretty cooked)
    • My girlfriend is out of town this weekend. So, that means I can add another day of work. Perhaps, I'll finally get started with my project to modernise the Maslowian approach to psychology.

I am a Zettler

• edited February 2022

Last Week

Trying to remember what I did feels like waking up from a long dream. Food for thought: Set goals and track my progress if it makes sense. The only successes I remember are:

1. Making a lot of progress on processing the primary sources of a YouTube video on getting started on fighting games.
    2. Making a bit of progress on my letter to my family about coming out of the closet.
    3. Getting a joystick and some games for the PPSSPP emulator to play during breaks. Such a nice change of pace. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is pretty lit. Plus, the character creator is nice. But, it's only temporary until I get into Skullgirls.

This Week

• Finish with (1) from last week.
    • Finish the letter and send it to my family.
    • Make some more progress reading What Color is Your Parachute.
    • Ditto but for the Yu-Gi-Oh! latest rulebook.

@Will Be careful with characters in filenames. IIRC, : isn't allowed in some operating systems. You use it in Style: Toward Clarity And Grace 202111181949. I remember that one time, I made a PDF unusable because of some characters I added. Removing them didn't help. The good times...

Also, why [Week N], where N is a number? I liked the 20220222-20220227 a lot more. It's easier to tell what week it is alluding to.

• @Sascha

If you have any time (seriously) can you briefly describe what interested you in Typora and why you would use it in preference to other markdown editors? I have also used iA Writer and Folding Text, as well as 1Writer, Byword, Drafts, MultiMarkdown Composer and Zettlr. I should also include Monodraw, TableFlip and Bear (I guess they should be on the list, although that's not exactly their prime purpose). There is a dizzying number of other choices for Markdown editor which I haven't tried. What is "special" about Typora?

• The abysmal failure of the first Folgezettel ID attempt in Zettlr last week was the basis for the successful implementation of backward-compatible Folgezettel IDs in Zettlr this week. Since knowing what doesn't work is more important than shoving the kitchen sink into the memory hole for whatever reason, I didn't attempt to erase the history of my spectacular failure--at least, not this time. Besides, it's on the forum.

This week, continuation of the mathematics of last week.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• @Annabella said:
    Be careful with characters in filenames. IIRC, : isn't allowed in some operating systems. You use it in Style: Toward Clarity And Grace 202111181949. I remember that one time, I made a PDF unusable because of some characters I added. Removing them didn't help. The good times...

I wonder which operating systems don't allow :? Thanks for the heads up.

Also, why [Week N], where N is a number? I liked the 20220222-20220227 a lot more. It's easier to tell what week it is alluding to.

I use week numbers in various areas. Electronic calendars have the week numbers, and I find them less busy. One or two characters to recognize rather than sixteen to decipher. Plus, I get a better sense of how my year progresses with a 1-52 week number.

But, your suggestion is at the top of the list because nobody else has expressed an opinion.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @GeoEng51 said:
    @Sascha

If you have any time (seriously) can you briefly describe what interested you in Typora and why you would use it in preference to other markdown editors? I have also used iA Writer and Folding Text, as well as 1Writer, Byword, Drafts, MultiMarkdown Composer and Zettlr. I should also include Monodraw, TableFlip and Bear (I guess they should be on the list, although that's not exactly their prime purpose). There is a dizzying number of other choices for Markdown editor which I haven't tried. What is "special" about Typora?

Sure.

Ulysses was fine but went to subscription and I left for the iA Writer. But the iA Writer was like a tight corset and I didn't like them pushing opinions on me (line width etc.). I also didn't like that I was forced to create files when I started to write and I missed an outline view.

Folding Text felt more simple and yet hat the outline view. But then, Christian and I failed to fix some highlighting issues.

Typora improved on several aspects:

1. Easy to customize.
    2. Multiple features (e.g. tables) I liked.
    3. CSS-based templates (and not LESS)

I am a Zettler

• @Will

I don't remember what operating system said nope to :. I read that from some book on computers long time ago. Maybe consider diving into the topic when you get the chance.

As for the week thingy, what about something like [Week N][From 2022-02-22 to 2022-02-27]? If necessary, the post itself could explain that in the second pair of square brackets, the order of information is Year-Month-Day.

• @Sascha

One more question regarding Typora and alternatives - could you achieve the product and workflow you wanted by writing in The Archive and then viewing / exporting from Marked2?

• @GeoEng51 said:
    @Sascha

could you achieve the product and workflow you wanted by writing in The Archive and then viewing / exporting from Marked2?

Yes.

I am a Zettler

• Last week (erm, this weekend, and until tomorrow), I was prepping for and attending a big conference. I used my ZK to craft the paper I delivered, and from that process I also have the seedlings of another paper to work on next. A poster of mine won a small award. I count all of these as ZKM successes.

In the coming days I have a lot of processing to do: a dozen or so recommended papers to read and make Zettel for, the new paper idea to outline (from new and existing Zettel), and continuing to feed my thesis back into my ZK.

On that note, I like the feedback loops I'm seeing in using the method.

• @Sociopoetic said:
    In the coming days I have a lot of processing to do: a dozen or so recommended papers to read and make Zettel for, the new paper idea to outline (from new and existing Zettel), and continuing to feed my thesis back into my ZK.

On that note, I like the feedback loops I'm seeing in using the method.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you are feeding your thesis back into your ZK, and about the feedback loop? That sounds interesting.

• @GeoEng51 said:
    Can you tell us a bit more about how you are feeding your thesis back into your ZK, and about the feedback loop? That sounds interesting.

Sure. Give me a few more weeks to process it and I'll do a write-up and post it here.

• @Sociopoetic said:

@GeoEng51 said:

Sure. Give me a few more weeks to process it and I'll do a write-up and post it here.

No panic! If you are disposed to answering, please do so in a time frame that works for you!