Zettelkasten Forum

Is total full screen writing possible within The Archive?

I would like to have a totally immersive full screen writing experience, sans the omnibar. Is this possible?

Those who discover the meaning of life find that it is written in plain text.

They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity. ~ Emily Dickinson

Comments

• Thanks for bringing that up! Currently, the Omnibar cannot be hidden in full-screen mode.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Fingers crossed this can happen in the future.

They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity. ~ Emily Dickinson

• This question ist really interesting.

I ask to clarify: Are you aiming to make it possible write articles or even books with The Archive? I mean in a manner that it makes distraction free writers obsolete in your app economy?

On the pane of methodology, I separate writing from note taking. I write with iA Writer and take note (which is more like thinking "writingly") with The Archive. But I think that one can make the case of not separating both.

I am a Zettler

• edited May 2018

There are certain things I'd like to be able to do no matter which note taking or writing app I'm in. Short form writing (i.e. composing an email, starting a blog post, adding another piece to a knowledge collection) is something I want to be able to do, distraction free, in whatever app I might be using to access the Dropbox folder I keep all my plain text files in. iA Writer provides the best distraction free writing experience I've come across so far with its sentence focus mode, yet I'd still like to be able to have a similar experience in every plain text editing app, including The Archive. In my world, no truly distraction free writing app will ever be obsolete as long as it can access my files.

Navigating my plain text folder feels like I'm walking down a digital street with a destination in mind, and various vehicles are available to take me there. Will I choose the BMW, or the sturdy run-around? That would depend on where I was going and on what kind of ride I wanted to have. However no matter which car I chose, I'd like to have air-conditioning even if curb sensing / auto braking wasn't an option in the smaller vehicle.

For me, total full screen mode with absolutely nothing else on the screen except for my writing, is air-conditioning.

So this is obviously not so much a purely Zettelkasten thing, but still I'd love to see the feature in The Archive.

• I think you have a good point. All the apps I use (iA Writer, Emacs, The Archive) share this: They are clean an minimal to minimise distraction. Therefore, I wouldn't compare the distraction free feature to air conditioning. It is not merely a comfort feature. Rather, it could be something like a very good gear. You can drive with a shitty one but you will drive better when it is smooth.

I am a Zettler

• nods head, @Sascha, yes, I like your analogy better.

• The omnibar is the only thing preventing The Archive from providing a distraction-free writing environment.