Zettelkasten Forum

Blockquote Citation Convention

It appears that the parser sees em-dashes and double-hyphens immediately following a block quote as part of the quote, while single-hyphens are considered a separate line.

Will that be a lasting convention? I can't seem to find any documentation on this, but would like to take advantage of the convention if so.

Comments

• Hm. The single dash marks the line as a list item which wins over "coalescing" the lines into 1 large blockquote.

This behavior should stay pretty stable. But it's a weird convention to rely on, I don't know how other Markdown-related apps treat this; if you want to make a line part of a blockquote, why not prepend it with a > as well?

My epigraphs are formatted as

The quote.__
    -- Author

The __ denotes two spaces to force a line break there.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    My epigraphs are formatted as

> The quote.__
    > -- Author

The __ denotes two spaces to force a line break there.

Thanks for this. It helped with the formatting of a note:

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• @ctietze said:
    if you want to make a line part of a blockquote, why not prepend it with a > as well?

Semantically, it seems ambiguous to me, as the > seems to delineate quoted text, and not citation information. However, clearly the blockquote and the citation belong together in some way, so I wasn't sure if there was an emerging multimarkdown convention here.

• edited September 2021

Markdown does not provide semantic for citations, but it allows embedding HTML. HTML has the <cite> element for this purpose. An example would look like this:

The element can be placed anywhere inside the block quote.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• @ZettelDistraction

Haha! I love your note on unintentional haiku's. Thanks for sharing that.