Zettelkasten Forum

What are you working on this coming week? (20210606-20210612 Week 23)

I'm a list maker, so here's my plan in a list.

• Process Backman, Fredrik, et al. Anxious People. Atria Books, 2020. Superhumorious thread using "Stockholmer's" as a metaphor for others.
  • Finish reading and process Plotnik, Arthur. The Elements of Expression: Putting Thoughts into Words. [2nd ed.], Rev. and Expanded ed, Cleis Press, 2012. - So good it's worth the second reading.
  • Finish reading and process Hazuka, Tom, and Dinty W. Moore, editors. Flash Nonfiction Funny: 71 Very Humorous, Very True, Very Short Stories. First edition, Woodhall Press, 2018.
  • Work on "Mentions" service. I'm a bit stuck figuring out to format regex in Automator, but it'll come together, or it won't.

What are your plans for the week? How is your week shaping up?

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• After a missed deadline and a small break, I am taking a fresh look at a work project. I've been accumulating a bunch of notes, but not really putting it into the Zettelkasten, so I have to spend some time there.

One thing, which I really have to remind myself of, is the benefit in going slow but deliberately forward. In some aspects of life I can really sweat the details, but in other aspects I can't seem to build up that habit. I think this week will be dedicated to just a tiny bit more practice in taking small steps rather than leaping ahead.

• I'm a part-time, senior advisor on an engineering work project. It requires gathering information from several disparate research areas and applying that, as much as possible, to a practical problem. At the beginning of the project, I promoted the idea of creating and using a Zettelkasten for this. No one on the project actually knew anything about the ZK method. Nevertheless, after some training and practice, the young engineers working on it have really taken to the ZK method and are generating zettels at a high rate. I've had a small exposure to what has been done so far. I'm worried that I might have created a "monster" and need to have a detailed look at the ZK to make sure it will actually function as desired.

It's been a learning situation - creating a ZK for a specific purpose with a group of contributing people. We tend to encounter situations on this forum where one person is the creator, manager, sole contributor, and sole users of a ZK. But there is no reason it couldn't be a tool used by a team of people. Worth giving some thought to how the process might be different, if that was the case.

• New project: Make Taskpaper my app to pre- draft ideas. With the workflow: Taskpaper -> Folding Text/The Archive -> Video/Book

I am a Zettler

• @GeoEng51 wrote:
    It's been a learning situation - creating a ZK for a specific purpose with a group of contributing people. We tend to encounter situations on this forum where one person is the creator, manager, sole contributor, and sole users of a ZK. But there is no reason it couldn't be a tool used by a team of people. Worth giving some thought to how the process might be different, if that was the case.

There might be some overlap with the Polymath Project for massive online collaborations to solve maths problems. The central hub site is here and contains a list of discussions about the polymath approach.

• edited June 2021

Continuing with the saga of the repeating Windows 10 stop error 0xc000021a, which happened again, I found that disabling driver signature enforcement and rebooting succeeded. Running the follwing two commands in CMD as administrator seems to have restored Windological normalcy.

1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    2. sfc /scannnow

The first completed and made no changes. The second found and repaired corrupted windows 10 files, likely due to a failed Windows 10 21H1 feature update. The 21H1 sounds like the avian flu. An ominous retry button awaits me in Windows Update settings menus.

That beats reinstalling Windows 10 again. Last week I left iCloud for Dropbox, but again the 0xc000021a error occurred, with system restore point failure at a hidden cached file of the Dropbox service. Previously a system restore from a known restore point was blocked by a hidden cached iCloud file. Tentative conclusion: Microsoft wants you to use OneDrive and doesn't want you to use either Dropbox or iCloud on Windows 10.

It has been a while since I looked at the Polymath Project. As for this week, the commitments of last week continue, with the addition of A Swim in a Pond in the Rain: In Which Four Russians Give a Master Class on Writing, Reading, and Life by George Saunders.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• @thomasteepe said:

There might be some overlap with the Polymath Project for massive online collaborations to solve maths problems. The central hub site is here and contains a list of discussions about the polymath approach.

Interesting (thanks for the link).

I set up a wiki once to compile information from a group of about 50 people. We were attempting to put together a retrospective on the life and accomplishments on one of the "greats" in our industry. I guess the idea didn't appeal to a lot of people because it never got too far off the ground, (sadly, there will be a lot more interest after he dies). But I put a lot of thought into how the process could work and set up the framework and tools for same. A wiki would work perfectly for that kind of situation and I can see it working for the Polymath Project to which you referred. And it could certainly be managed as a wiki-cum-Zettelkasten.

In my earlier post, I was thinking of something more focused - a small to moderate size group (say nominally around 10) of people who are working together to research and potentially develop / solve a specific problem. Just writing this out, I see there is a big overlap with the previous paragraph, but somehow in my mind the focused project is not so grand - limited in scope and time. I guess the tools could be equally valuable for both, though.

Sorry - rambling on here. I'll think about this some more :smile: