Zettelkasten Forum

What are you working on this coming week? (20210530-20210605 Week 23)

Getting back to the gym!
I'm looking at Lynch, Kevin (1960). The Image of the City. Got it from the uni library. Thinking about the city/map/cartography metaphor and how it might apply to knowledge and idea synthesis.
Thinking a lot about zettel titleization.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Read an article by David Dunning: "We are all confident idiots". Can't recall if I saw that on this forum or elsewhere. I'm processing my notes from that into my ZK.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/confident-idiots-92793

• Apart from the usual suspects, I am interrupting a phase in which I concentrated on story and mythology. Now, I will process "The Winner Effect" by Robertson and dive my head into the effects of hierarchy and status on thought an emotion.

I am a Zettler

• Been working hard on getting a paper ready for a conference, but things are looking shaky, so the next few days will be spend on trying to get it in shape.

No matter how it pans out -- I have a lot of loose ends and notes to fill into the ZK after a few weeks of neglect 😇

• edited May 2021

Finally feeding my ZK again after six months or so of restoration and repair. I'm processing two talks I attended and tinkering with my TOC notes. @Will, that Lynch book is interesting; he's the originator of the term "cognitive mapping," a concept that Fredric Jameson extended into his effort to understand the postmodern.

Started ZK 4.2018. "The path is at your feet, see? Now carry on."

• edited May 2021

Reset Windows 10 for the third time after cycling reboots ending at stop codes! Decided it was an interaction between iCloud for Windows 10 and Windows 10. Rejoined Dropbox, got rid of iCloud and moved my Zettelkasten from iCloud to Dropbox. Now I have a backlog of Zettels to create, some on foreign languages, some on Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace, 11th edition by Joseph M. Williams and Joseph Bizup (vastly superior to The Elements of Style--though out of a spirit of amoral competitiveness I urge those who currently recommend "Strunk and White's poisonous little collection of bad grammatical advice..." to continue to miseducate others). Also reading Outside Ethics and Philosophy and Real Politics by Raymond Geuss.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Armchair theorists unite, you have nothing to lose but your meetings! --Phil Edwards

• @ZettelDistraction

Haha! Maybe a better solution would have been to dump Windows 10 and the whole Microsoft universe, and move to Apple / Mac / iOS. :wink:

• I call Apple's ecosystem "corporate linux." The overpriced hardware and continual pain in the a$$ to get otherwise useful programs to work on Macs confuse me; I will never understand why people love "it" so much. And yes, I'm an iPhone user, but a Linux and Windows user as well. I only use Macs when I hacking iOS apps because Apple's bull*hit won't allow me to hack it without one. "But that means it's secure," you cry. At which point I reply, "Yes, you're right." with a shade of sarcasm in my otherwise monotone voice :)

• Apple products and 3rd party have better design and user experience. Windows have restore points and factory reset, which has significantly improved my confidence in making major changes and trying out new stuff. Restore points weren't accessible on Linux at that time. On Linux i frequently broke the system from which i couldn't recover from. I have some funny memories from Linux, like uninstalling Python and all its packages that are "no longer required". Linux helped me diving deeper into operating systems, though not always on purpose.

I left Windows for good and Linux has quite a few bugs that are really getting on my nerves. I hate Android, it failed me and betrayed me

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• Dude....haha. I feel yo pain. I use all three OSs to hack all three OSs and other applications running on the aforementioned triumvirate of truly terrible ways to connect my brain stem to the interwebs.

• i am going to use tor for a while as an experiment. So many sites are blocking me - thanks to GDPR.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915