Zettelkasten Forum

How do you approach "directional" Zettelkasten work?

edited May 2021 in Writing

I'm currently unsatisfied with my approach for no other reason than the lack of confidence, but here it is for reference:

1. Make a structure note for the project inside my "outlines" overview note
  2. Then gather a bunch of notes, starting from the related structure notes I have
  3. Brainstorm a bunch of questions
  4. Brainstorm/search for a bunch of resources that may answer these questions
  5. Process these sources

Problem: For small projects like articles and short lessons for my own forum, I find it extremely time-consuming. (Or, am I walking down the path of short-term thinking here?)

My (pseudo) solution: I've started writing an outline and fleshing them with my own thoughts, but I find them hard to "zettelize" afterward -- rendering my time "low leverage". (wait -- is note-ify a better term? lol)

I'm curious about your approaches, but any critique to my process is 100% welcome! :)

EDIT: I also do "indirectional work" but since I have my own publishing schedule, I have to compromise (a bit) with more "directional" work. I think it's a spectrum, btw.

Comments

• @improveism said:
    I'm currently unsatisfied with my approach for no other reason than the lack of confidence, but here it is for reference:

You can do it! Believe in yourself!

I am a Zettler

• So "directional" as in 'to assemble a manuscript'?

In the end, your Zettelkasten can only offer suggestions. You have to sort and order them manually. Or put differently: you bring order to the notes and make outlines and maintain projects.

That's the thing I bring to my mind every now and then with regard to ZK work, because without my input, there's not going to be any hierarchy, order, outline, or writing project. The 'natural' process for me would be to start with an idea and write down ideas from the top of my head (to provide the rough skeleton) and then to search for things in my Zettelkasten that fit (to put meat onto the skeleton), and take note of research tasks to fill in the gaps in my knowledge (... to order missing organs from ... ok the metaphor is breaking down here). In other words, I don't try to not brainstorm what I already know. I let that out as soon as possible.

A mix of your home-grown solution and the 5 steps you mentioned at the beginning sounds similar to what I actually do.

Btw, for blog posts, which are often very short, I mostly use notes as inspiration or copypasta for code snippets, and write the rest around these pieces without much preparation.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Sascha said:

@improveism said:

You can do it! Believe in yourself!

Haha, thanks I guess 😂 I've been reading your blogs on morning routine (translated) and came across the sun salutations and inter-break mobility work. I felt way better after the breathing sequence, too! The 7x+1 workout was hard, but I got a very good workout with pike pushups. As expected! 😁 btw do you do them before every Deep work session?

@ctietze said:
    So "directional" as in 'to assemble a manuscript'?

In the end, your Zettelkasten can only offer suggestions. You have to sort and order them manually. Or put differently: you bring order to the notes and make outlines and maintain projects.

That's the thing I bring to my mind every now and then with regard to ZK work, because without my input, there's not going to be any hierarchy, order, outline, or writing project. The 'natural' process for me would be to start with an idea and write down ideas from the top of my head (to provide the rough skeleton) and then to search for things in my Zettelkasten that fit (to put meat onto the skeleton), and take note of research tasks to fill in the gaps in my knowledge (... to order missing organs from ... ok the metaphor is breaking down here). In other words, I don't try to not brainstorm what I already know. I let that out as soon as possible.

A mix of your home-grown solution and the 5 steps you mentioned at the beginning sounds similar to what I actually do.

Btw, for blog posts, which are often very short, I mostly use notes as inspiration or copypasta for code snippets, and write the rest around these pieces without much preparation.

But the ordering missing organs sounds like deep work lol 😂 That makes so much sense now...I guess I was overthinking, too. But your emphasis on "bringing order" and the 'natural' process were golden. (And by that I mean I really should've asked this earlier!) Thanks a lot @ctietze!