Zettelkasten Forum

Online implementation of a Zettelkasten (Tiddlywiki vs Dokuwiki vs other choices)

Hi everyone!

I am looking for an online implementation of a Zettelkasten. At the moment I use The Archive and I will keep using it. However, I want to publish and make available for everyone my knowledge. I'm not interested in roam research for a variety of personal reasons. Searching here in the forum I found those two are recommended, which one do you suggest? do you have another option?

Thank you!

Comments

• Do you want to basically mirror a part (even your whole) Zettelkasten into the interwebs?

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    Do you want to basically mirror a part (even your whole) Zettelkasten into the interwebs?

Yes!

• I advice against it. The Zettelkasten is as idiosyncratic as a diary is. It might not be as personal but the issue is that you act very differently when you think you are in an interaction vs. when you think you are not.

Separate those concerns, is my advice and edit the individual notes in a manner that they can be atomic public units later on.

If you still want to follow this track, I recommend DokuWiki. I am using it myself with pleasure (not with this deviant, barbaric immediate type but with the noble, ethical perhaps even angelic type of pleasure..).

I am a Zettler

• I have a subset of my zettelkasten online, I use Obsidian.

• @Sascha said:
    I advice against it. The Zettelkasten is as idiosyncratic as a diary is. It might not be as personal but the issue is that you act very differently when you think you are in an interaction vs. when you think you are not.

Separate those concerns, is my advice and edit the individual notes in a manner that they can be atomic public units later on.

If you still want to follow this track, I recommend DokuWiki. I am using it myself with pleasure (not with this deviant, barbaric immediate type but with the noble, ethical perhaps even angelic type of pleasure..).

Thanks! That's also what I was planning to do. Edit some of them so they are public friendly, I agree with you that the notes are idiosyncratic in nature.

• @Nick said:
    I have a subset of my zettelkasten online, I use Obsidian.

Thanks for suggesting it. What's the price tag?

• edited May 2021

From what I know of renowned public Zettelkasten gardener Andy Matuschak, he edits his notes in an app locally and then hits a "publish" button that automatically assembles and uploads the website for it. -- What you'd be looking for then is a 'static site generator', but that requires coding skills.

DokuWiki is nice because you can merely mirror your notes into the DokuWiki folder as the basic storage.

There are other "plain text content management systems" if you don't want the editing part of a wiki, but the simplicity of navigation and publication. I've bookmarked a few but never tested all of them https://pinboard.in/u:DivineDominion/t:cms

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Nick said:
    I have a subset of my zettelkasten online, I use Obsidian.

Can you share the link?

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha its uncompleted in terms of making all the links workable and notes comprehensible, but here it is https://publish.obsidian.md/obzk/About+this+Vault

• Thanks @Nick

I am a Zettler

• @ctietze said:
    From what I know of renowned public Zettelkasten gardener Andy Matuschak, he edits his notes in an app locally and then hits a "publish" button that automatically assembles and uploads the website for it. -- What you'd be looking for then is a 'static site generator', but that requires coding skills.

DokuWiki is nice because you can merely mirror your notes into the DokuWiki folder as the basic storage.

There are other "plain text content management systems" if you don't want the editing part of a wiki, but the simplicity of navigation and publication. I've bookmarked a few but never tested all of them https://pinboard.in/u:DivineDominion/t:cms

Thanks!