Zettelkasten Forum

Cytoscape: Advice on best analysis methods for PPI network

Hello there!

We are working on our first protein interaction network analyses and would like to know if there is a program/plugin available that will spatially arrange (cluster) nodes based on significant GO terms. We have found packages that arrange things in rows or color-code nodes based on GO, but so far it has always then required manual intervention to drag the nodes out into clusters and arrange shared nodes in between, etc. We want to examine some fairly large networks that will likely have several clusters, so it would be really helpful if the clustering was automated and allowed us to choose specific parent/child GO terms to cluster by from a list. Basically, we want to enrich our protein-protein interaction network with the GO terms represented in the network and, instead of looking at all of the GO terms represented, we want to find a way to ‘move up the tree’ to examine the less-specific GO terms to get a general idea of what our proteins of interest are associated with. For example, if we see there is an enrichment of GO terms related to cell division, is there an automated way to visually separate out the nodes in the network after selecting that GO term from a list? Are there any programs or Cytoscape plugins that can do this? We are new to this type of analysis so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!

Haley

Comments

• Please use paragraphs.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:
    Please use paragraphs.

:D

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• @hmac970 said:

what is the data format of your input? I was only skimming the MWOT but it doesn't seem related to note taking. Are you looking for a textual representation or visual?

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• @zk_1000 said:

@hmac970 said:

what is the data format of your input? I was only skimming the MWOT but it doesn't seem related to note taking. Are you looking for a textual representation or visual?

We are looking for a visual representation. We have obtained a GO enrichment from BiNGO, which gave us a network of those terms. Ultimately, we are looking for a way to cluster that network visually based on significance. If there's a better plugin for this than BiNGO, please also let me know.