Zettelkasten Forum

What are you working on this week (2021-01-11 - 2021-01-17)?

Feeling good that my Zettelkasten got some snacky treats yesterday! Looking forward to feeding it some more this week:

• Readings on design thinking and the criteria for conducting solid qualitative research (PhD)
  • Researching well-done qualitative research studies in my field (PhD)
  • Researching case studies of innovation culture change done well (work)
  • Designing workshop session on harvesting lessons learned from past projects to feed into upcoming project (work)
  • Facilitating virtual collaboration sessions with my teams (work)
  • Play with ways to increase engagement of 2000+ people in a week's worth of upcoming virtual events (work)
  • Maybe submit a paper for an Academy of Management conference presentation?? If they extend the deadline??
  • Read the first few chapters of Wild Mercy (Starr, 2019) as part of a discussion group I've joined.
  • Migrate to a new laptop without losing my mind. Or any files.
  • MAYBE try to figure out how to do the list of tags in Archive so I can try to consolidate similar ones into consistent tag terms? @Will, did you have a Mac macro for that?

How about you?

Comments

• I've added some top-end organizational elements to my ZK (an index and two "hubs", as @Will describes them). That has somehow settled my mind and helped me to be more focussed on the (current) main purposes for writing, which has in turn increased my writing productivity. So, now I'm writing a lot of zettels around personal memories and what I learned from them, at different times in my life.

• This week marks the "soft" opening of my semester:

• I've applied for several internships
    • Written notes of introduction to professors
    • I'm presently reading the introductory chapters of textbooks. While courses don't officially start until next week, getting an edge on the readings often proves wise later when I lose momentum.
    • I'm continuing my self-study through another textbook in order to cement my understanding of certain concepts (and make that wink of my ZK more robust -- with formulas in LaTeX!
    • Time permitting, I'm also continuing on a book project -- one that will not only be my first lengthy writing project with my ZK (aside from my upcoming thesis), but of note my first book project that seems to be gaining energy and clarity over time (many have puttered out before). The book project is something I am also considering entering in a competition at my university.

In all of the above, my ZK plays some sort of role, from cheerleader to communication partner to memory reservoir...

• edited January 2021

@jeannelking said:
    Feeling good that my Zettelkasten got some snacky treats yesterday!

I too am feeding my ZK high-calorie treats this week as I prepare for class. Reading and feeding my ZK from the literature of the Pacific Northwest. "Sometimes a Great Notion" and "Bone Deep in Landscape". 15 more books on the reading list for the term including a retrospective of Barry Lopez's work.

It feels great not to be so focused on the mechanics of my ZK and be in full-on feeding mode.

• MAYBE try to figure out how to do the list of tags in Archive so I can try to consolidate similar ones into consistent tag terms? @Will, did you have a Mac macro for that?

Discussion and link to macro here.

I've since changed the refresh trigger to run every 10 mins only when The Archive is running.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:

Discussion and link to macro here.

I've since changed the refresh trigger to run every 10 mins only when The Archive is running.

Thank you, @Will! I'm looking forward to consolidating my tag cloud formations! :^)

And I agree - it DOES feel good to be back in full-on feeding mode!
    J

• @Sociopoetic said:
    In all of the above, my ZK plays some sort of role, from cheerleader to communication partner to memory reservoir...

Love the thought of ZK as cheerleader! Thank you for that!