Zettelkasten Forum

Cytoscape.js graph / network visualization library & demos

Stumbled upon this the other day:

https://js.cytoscape.org/

It's a library for graph/network analysis. I don't know what you typically analyze there and what kind of results you can get, but it can analyze graph data (in "headless" mode) as much as it can visualize the resulting graphs on screen.

It's interactive, so you can shove nodes around.

The "fCoSE" demo reminded me of Zettel hubs: https://ivis-at-bilkent.github.io/cytoscape.js-fcose/demo.html

I don't have the time to play around with that, but maybe someone around here has!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

Comments

• Somebody's already started:
    ..there's still no release though.

• Wow! That is functionally very powerful if added to a software tool Zettelkasten indeed. It visualizes the entry points and subsequent paths of discovery one can have with their Zettels.

I am a Zettler, ie 'one who zettles'
    research: pragmatism, 4e cognitive science, metaphor | you can't be neutral on a moving train

• For those using TiddlyWiki there is a great plug-in called TiddlyMap, which adds support for this. It is also possible to edit the layout and connections manually in map. It is really useful for visually navigating notes.

• edited April 2020

@henrikenggaard said:
    For those using TiddlyWiki there is a great plug-in called TiddlyMap, which adds support for this. It is also possible to edit the layout and connections manually in map. It is really useful for visually navigating notes.

I fully agree. In fact, I am surprised TiddlyWiki isn't used more by Zettelkasteners.

For those looking for a private, standalone, portable Zettelkasten tool I have not come across anything better than open source TiddlyBlink with the Tiddlymap plug-in. TB is essentially TiddlyWiki, but with the Relink plug-in standard. Now that I have been involved in Zettelkasten en seen comments here and elsewhere, I cannot imagine how anyone can live without automatic adjustment of ALL links in the Zettelkasten when a note title is changed.

Moreover, TB has the bi-directionality of Roam. Another feature that is extremely useful for Zettelkasten work is transclusion: linking from note 1 to note 2 and showing the contents from note 2 in note 1 without having to copy/paste. Changes in note 2 are reflected in note 1.

The Tiddlymap is a mindmap type graphical representation of the connections between notes - great to discern patterns and develop thought routes.

There is a ready-made combination of TB and TM called TiddlyRoam.

TW/TB/TM is extremely customisable, and, to my mind, unequalled for Zettelkasten work. There is a learning curve but the TW forum is very active and extremely helpful.

Some more details:
    Open source and self-hosted alternatives to Roam Research
    Getting started with TiddlyWiki

TiddlyBlink
    TiddlyWiki
    TiddlyRoam

Post edited by Peter on