Zettelkasten Forum

Zettelkasten for Reading Newspapers

Do you have any advice for using zettelkasten for reading newspapers? I read through the Wall Street Journal everyday. I have both the paper and electronic versions. I was thinking that perhaps I could benefit in at least two ways: adding to my knowledge base and collecting information to spot trends. Thank you.

Comments

• I do not think that there is any difference in processing newspaper article and other articles. But I see news as a very low value source of information. Especially these days with the decaying standards of journalism.

I am a Zettler

• Thank you. I appreciate your advice. And, I don't disagree with your statement about decaying standards of journalism. My original question comes from my thinking as I am reading Robert J. Shiller's book, Narrative Economics - How Stories Go Viral & Drive Major Economic Events. The premise is that regardless of whether a narrative (or collection of related narratives) is factual or not, they are a valid source of information, serving as clues as to what people might do that will change the economy in which we live. Some influences are regional and some are global.

• It sounds to me as though you're less "creating notes about specific articles" and more "creating notes about meta trends in the world as evidenced through specific articles". Just as a suggestion for a possibly useful reframing of the way you look at the question.

• @markmoore said:
    Thank you. I appreciate your advice. And, I don't disagree with your statement about decaying standards of journalism. My original question comes from my thinking as I am reading Robert J. Shiller's book, Narrative Economics - How Stories Go Viral & Drive Major Economic Events. The premise is that regardless of whether a narrative (or collection of related narratives) is factual or not, they are a valid source of information, serving as clues as to what people might do that will change the economy in which we live. Some influences are regional and some are global.

Haha. If you play the Shiller Card, I intercept with my Taleb Card: Non-predictability of events. :kissing:

In that case, I'd create a Structure Zettel for any narrative you encounter and revolve the processing around them and let the various articles be absorbed by them organically.

I am a Zettler

• Excellent idea! Thank you. I truly appreciate your website.