Zettelkasten Forum

A time proof approach

I know different people have different uses and requests for the software. I like a balance between power and a clean interface.

The main goal at least as I see it of a Zettelkasten is to keep your files clean, organized and time proof, I understand the software need to "obey" the same pre-requisite. It's easy to add too many bells and whistles, and you will end up with something like DTPO (which I own and like), a very powerful software but with a clumsy interface.

It's hard for the developer to balance usability vs features, my suggestion is to keep the core to a minimum, and some requests work as add-ons, that can be developed to extend the capabilities of The Archive, this way one can choose to toggle on/off whatever is needed.

What are your thoughts about this?

Cheers,

LW

Comments

• "files clean, organised and time proof", i agree with that.

"The Archive" should force a certain workflow that is based on the workflow the inventor of the "Zettelkasten" had in mind. This will limit the bells ad whistles i think. Also you will harvest the same advantages the inventor had.

A next step could be adding additional functionality in small steps and check if the intended advantages really take place.

Does this make any sense?

Kind regards,
    Dick Barends

• Just out of curiosity: what kind of metrics do you have in mind?
    Related: what is it you would like to improve?

In general, I totally agree that The Archive should do the least amount of work possible. It should remain a customizable workbench. Scriptability is an important step for me to make this possible -- but not before 1.0 :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @wolff said:
    I know different people have different uses and requests for the software. I like a balance between power and a clean interface.

There is a unifying principle of the uses. This is the core of knowledge work. We didn't publish it already. We use a software agnostic approach of software development. Fancy name, I know.

The differences disappear if you observe the underlying structures. For example:

1. Some people use the metadata of the OS for tagging.
    2. We use just the hash in the textfile.
    3. I used the "§" to mark my tags (aesthetic reasons)

All three cases are about tagging. The question I ask myself is: How can I enable tagging with the most stability, platt-form independency, few keyboard strokes and no change of context (e.g. switch from app to finder and back)

It seems to me that many people have requests regarding the behaviour of the app. I try to uncover what it is what users want to do. Nobody wants to klick on a link. It is about opening the link as fast and comfortable as possible. (Hint: We plan to make the mouse more redundant)

@dbarends said:
    "The Archive" should force a certain workflow that is based on the workflow the inventor of the "Zettelkasten" had in mind. This will limit the bells ad whistles i think. Also you will harvest the same advantages the inventor had.

A bit force. Yes. :smile:

Christian will answer soon. He is not available for a couple of days.

I am a Zettler