Zettelkasten Forum

Which font to use?

Hi everyone,I am interested in the note box system and would like to know which fonts are particularly suitable for the design of the notes.

Are there any recommendations for fonts that are both aesthetically pleasing and functional?
To what extent does font choice affect how our brains process information?

I studied art and wonder if, for example, a tree in Helvetica creates a different mental stimulus than the same tree in Roboto.

Are there any studies or personal experiences on this?

I look forward to your answers!

John

Comments

• @John_P I don't know if this fits your question, but I looked long and hard for a legible font that my mother and others with poor vision could read without too much eye strain. I settled on Atkinson Hyperlegible (although there are others). I suppose minimizing eye strain could be one aspect of finding a font that is "aesthetically pleasing and functional".

• edited October 21

@John_P said:
    Hi everyone,I am interested in the note box system and would like to know which fonts are particularly suitable for the design of the notes.

Are there any recommendations for fonts that are both aesthetically pleasing and functional?

I studied art and wonder if, for example, a tree in Helvetica creates a different mental stimulus than the same tree in Roboto.

Hi,

I use to work on PC. As a person who regularly suffers from strong migraine attacks, legible font was my top priority.

I used Monspaced font for writing. Here you can see the tree with Roboto Mono, and the text with JetBrains Mono, on Obsidian.

As you can see, every characters have the same width. The tree is quicker to explore.

And here, Roboto Mono with Fira Mono combo on Sublime Text :

I use ST for long form writing, like my novels. Softer constrats, Monospaced characters. Developpers used this type of characters while staying in front of their screen for hours. I can relate to them.

Post edited by Loni on
  • @John_P Maybe you can find some inspiration here: https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/2266/jakob-nielsen-best-font-for-online-reading-no-single-answer

Sascha and I have been using Lato in The Archive since then for legibility testing. Well it works alright!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• I use Lato and came to it with a simple method: I just searched for the fonts that were the quickest to read. I liked Lato.

The note list is a mono space font and I use a monospace font for the comments I use comments for example for TOC-like structures and tables, so they look more tidy.

Like this, I can combine monospace and Lato.

I am a Zettler

• @Loni said:

@John_P said:

Hi,

I use to work on PC. As a person who regularly suffers from strong migraine attacks, legible font was my top priority.

I used Monspaced font for writing. Here you can see the tree with Roboto Mono, and the text with JetBrains Mono, on Obsidian.

As you can see, every characters have the same width. The tree is quicker to explore.

And here, Roboto Mono with Fira Mono combo on Sublime Text :

I use ST for long form writing, like my novels. Softer constrats, Monospaced characters. Developpers used this type of characters while staying in front of their screen for hours. I can relate to them.

Just curious, but I cannot see the images...

• m.
  • My bad, I thought you already saw them :