Zettelkasten Forum

Raspberry Pi Ansible Playbook for Zettelkasten Enthusiasts

Hi everyone,

I’m excited to share a project that could be useful for those of you using Raspberry Pi devices in your Zettelkasten workflow. I’ve developed an Ansible playbook that automates the setup of Raspberry Pis, including tools that could enhance your note-taking and text-processing environments.

What’s Included:

• Network Configuration: Easily set up Wi-Fi networks, access points, and even USB gadget mode for Raspberry Pi.
  • Text Processing Tools: Install tools like Pandoc and TexLive, essential for converting notes. There's also a role for my Zettel Composer tool.
  • Emacs Environment: If you work with Emacs, the playbook can build it from source and set up Spacemacs with integrated tmux.
  • Ancient Greek Texts: For anyone working with classical languages, there’s a setup for Diogenes with Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG) data.
  • Seafile Client and Sync Notifications: You can configure Seafile for seamless syncing of notes across devices and set up sync notifications to stay updated on changes.

If you’ve got a Raspberry Pi or a whole fleet of them, this playbook should help you get everything up and running quickly. It’s especially handy if you like to experiment with different setups or need consistency across multiple devices.

You can find the playbook here.

Enjoy!

Comments

• I have been thinking of getting into the Rasberry Revolution ( my favorite jelly flavor, I must add) where does one begin?

• edited September 28

@Valdus said:
    I have been thinking of getting into the Rasberry Revolution ( my favorite jelly flavor, I must add) where does one begin?

I would say go for the RPi 5, or perhaps the RPi 4 because you can find it very cheap. The RPi Zero 2 W is great for it's portability, but it has some instability issues relating to overheating and the wi-fi (I was unable to compile emacs or do big file transfers on it. Thus, I had to setup its SD Card on a RPi 4; thereafter, it's been working nice). Get a fast SDCard (I'm using the 32GB Sandisk Extreme PRO).

It works great with the iPad, specially connected as an "USB Gadget" via USB-C.

• Thanks for sharing this nerdery :)

The RPi Zero 2 W is great for it's portability

I'm amazed that it can run all these things in the first place!

Emacs Environment: If you work with Emacs, the playbook can build it from source and set up Spacemacs with integrated tmux.

"integrated tmux" surprised me: I would assume that you either run Emacs all the time anyway and don't need a multiplexer with detach/attach support and the like. What do you do with this combination?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/