Zettelkasten Forum

Side by Side Control to edit texts

edited July 13 in Writing

Dear Zettlers,

are you aware of a good writing app that allows to control differences side-by-side? I found BBedit, but I perhaps, there is something better that you are aware of?

Live long and prosper
Sascha

I am a Zettler

Comments

• @Sascha said:
    Dear Zettlers,

are you aware of a good writing app that allows to control differences side-by-side? I found BBedit, but I perhaps, there is something better that you are aware of?

Live long and prosper
    Sascha

Seems to be a lot of on-line checkers for comparing various types of files, including text files, but I don't know of any app (on your computer) that does that. Maybe Gitfox, which I see on my Setapp subscription. It looks like it will do what you want, but I've never used it.

• edited July 13

For windows you can use winmerge, but you probably have a mac

• edited July 13

@Sascha

Try this link for MacOS file compression and diff tools.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mac-file-comparison-tools/

I also have heard about:

Beyond Compares, pretty good, but it's ugly as hell

And

Kaleidoscope five has a lot of polish but it gets confused sometimes.

• You might want to have a look at Sublime.

https://www.sublimetext.com/

• For the Mac, I've used several file-comparison tools like Perforce's P4Merge or FileMerge (part of Xcode) and tried a few like Changes or Kaleidoscope, but in the end I always return to BBEdit's diff tool (which can be also invoked from the command line). And, while working with text windows, I esp. like BBEdit's commands "Compare Two Front Windows", "Compare Against Disk File" and "Compare Against Previous Version…" which I use every day.

• Many thanks for your suggestions! I will look into it.

My goal is to improve the editing environment and integrate AI-feedback, while making up for the potential detraining using AI.

I am a Zettler