Zettelkasten Forum

Chris in South Carolina, USA

I first came across the idea of Zettelkasten probably 2-3 years ago. I was intrigued, and spent some time reading and researching about it, but I just couldn't visualize how it actually worked.

Then last fall I was helping my wife find a replacement for Evernote for her recipes, and discovered Obsidian. (It was more than she needed, she went with SimpleNote) but I was intrigued by the idea of linked notes. I downloaded it, watched some videos and started putting stuff in it. I had used various programs before, but they ended up just becoming archives of stuff, and not really useful for production of ideas. I'm working to not fall in that trap this time.

Probably the two most helpful things for me have been Sonke Ahren's book and a few videos by Morgan Eau on YouTube. This is a great place to start

I am going back to school after retiring, entering a doctorate program. That's a bit intimidating at 53. I've got a couple of masters, but it's been a while. I'm really hoping using Zettelkasten principles in Obsidian will aid me in my endeavor.

Comments

• Welcome!

My biggest regret about my PhD is that I finished it before discovering the Zettelkasten method. So, you have a real advantage in your PhD ;-)

“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” —Isaac Newton
    eljardindegestalt.com

• @CPMoellering Welcome to the forum! We hope you find tons of good information here.

Like @FernandoNobel, I discovered the Zettelkasten method way too late for it to help with my advanced schooling. But, one never stops learning (or writing, it seems), so it's never to late to get started on a Zettelkasten.

• Welcome to the forums!

Keep us up to date on your ZK development! Especially me, since there are exciting developments in Zk for biblical/christian studies.. :)

I am a Zettler