Zettelkasten Forum

semantic, or search-based linking that will survive file replacement

I have a collection of about 5,000 text files (html, actually) that comprise Texas statutes and its constitution. Every two years the files are updated. The next update will be in a few months.

Contretemps with a local tax appraisal agency inspires me to track their activities. I want to take notes and link to appropriate statutes.

When the statutes are updated, I want to replace the old copies with the new. Like anyone both wanting and eating cake, I'd like for my links to survive the file replacement.

I can link to a document. I can link to a document name, and that solves the problem if the document name remains constant over revision.

What I would really like is a link to "all files containing Texas Unemployment Compensation" and "201.011".

Right now, I'm using Devonthink. I can save a search as a smart group and then link to the smart group, but that's quite a bit of friction for creating a link. I think it also may not fit intimately with Devonthink's AI based See Also feature.

Any thoughts appreciated. I also appreciate the hospitality here. The discussion is wonderful.

Comments

• I don't see any problem with your proposed smart-group solution in Devonthink. Why are you looking for feedback here instead of in the Devonthink forum? Are you looking for a different solution that is not software-specific?

• @Amontillado: You complained that linking to a smart group is "quite a bit of friction for creating a link". As an alternative, why not write the search terms in parentheses in the note? For example, (see search results for "Texas Unemployment Compensation" & "201.011"). When you want to search for the terms, use your cursor to select the text "Texas Unemployment Compensation" & "201.011", then right-click or control-click on the selected text and from the contextual menu select Search Selected Phrase or See Related Text. You will have to experiment to see which command and which search terms work best for your purpose. Something like that would be low-friction. That's all in Devonthink. You can do something similar in any Mac app by selecting a system-wide service from the contextual menu that searches the selected text in Spotlight. I have such a service on my Mac, but I can't remember if I made it myself or if it ships with all Macs.

• @Andy said:
    @Amontillado: You complained that linking to a smart group is "quite a bit of friction for creating a link". As an alternative, why not write the search terms in parentheses in the note?

Great suggestion - I'll experiment.

I've asked in the DT forums and gotten good feedback, but not quite what I was looking for.

Thank you for your thoughts.

• Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.

I am still interested in ideas in any software for idea linking.

In Devonthink, I learned searches can be done through URL commands. Utilities like PopClip or Keyboard Maestro help make the job easier.

Basically, a command URL can trigger a search among other things. Click the search link, fresh search results come up.

• I am still interested in ideas in any software for idea linking.

I use for ages now system-wide IDs. This could provide a software-agnostic solution to be able to link to ideas.

I am a Zettler