Zettelkasten Forum

Tipps for purchasing a Dictation Device

Hi Zettlers,

I am thinking about buying a dictation device. I don't own a smartphone and want to postpone this state of my life as long as possible. However, when I go on walks with my dogs, I have quite some ideas. I am at the pain threshold of finally doing something about it. :)

But I don't know what to look for.
Does anyone have tipps?

Live long and prosper
Sascha

I am a Zettler

Comments

• There are digital recorders, but a smart phone is so easy... (sorry)

• I used to use a tape recorder when I walked. I hung it around my neck. Gave it up for my iPhone 14 and Apple watch last year. I didn't want to go that direction, but sure glad I did. Big glad I did. Changed my life for the good in so many ways, including medically. Now I just press my recorder on my watch and record. My hands are free. I need to hold my hand closer to my face and it throws off my stance for a second, but recoup fast. I say it depends on how long you want to record something. Is it a thought (a few seconds) or longer. If longer I still use my tape recorder because it works with my Dragon personal natural speaking system (Ive been using for the last 10 years). When I return I plug it into my laptop and let it type everything up for me. I improved my use over time on this.

• It also depends on what your goals are? How long you walk and so much more. Things only you can answer. I'm serious about my writing and capturing and my production. And I produce a lot. I also have the philosophy these things are an investment in me and my goals. I use the word "experiment" a lot. It usually works out even for a bit while I learn. Everything is a learning lesson. Some things cost college dollars and others cost buying something, using it, and seeing how it works. Maybe you have a friend who has a tape recorder. They can share it with you for a week or two and you try it out. I'm just so happy with my iPhone I try not to kick myself on not getting it sooner even if I need to make monthly payments on it.

• You will have a lot more control with a dedicated dictating device. But they are hard to find.

I use DayOne on Apple Watch is slowly getting useful. You can record when bicycling, and DayOne finally opened up for transcriping voice to text directly from aWatch to DayOne.

• @Sascha said:
    Hi Zettlers,

I am thinking about buying a dictation device. I don't own a smartphone and want to postpone this state of my life as long as possible. However, when I go on walks with my dogs, I have quite some ideas. I am at the pain threshold of finally doing something about it. :)

But I don't know what to look for.
    Does anyone have tipps?

Live long and prosper
    Sascha

I have no tips, but I am curious what your phone of choice is?

• @ceaf

My issue with a smartphone solution is:

1. I don't want to own a smartphone for as long as possible.
    2. A smartphone is too heavy and clunky for me. I want something tiny, especially when I am on the move. I want it to be in my pocket but should be not recognizable.

A smartwatch might be a solution. But

1. I love my simple Casio Watch since it is both robust and minimal.
    2. I feel that it is already loaded with functions I don't need and want in my life. All that tracking is just a distraction to me. (I did track a lot to develop an understanding of the effect of my habits. Now, I have a very good intuition for the state of my health and fitness)

@pro2type

Do you use the smartwatch extensively?

@joegilder

This is my phone (I think). It is the old phone of @ctietze 's grandpa. (Which might tell you something about me...)

https://www.amazon.com/Primo-413-Doro-Großtastenhandy-Tischladestation-rot/dp/B00DWSS3Y2/

It has a loading station, which is nice since it reminds of the time when telephones were stationary. I rarely take it with me. Just when I need to be available (e.g. going on a hike and my daughter or wife is sick, so I can rush home)

My first try is this little thing: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Voice-Recorder-Lectures-Meetings/dp/B084KQMH6V/

My problem is that the better voice recorders get bigger. The above recorder was recommended multiple times.

Also: I have to test the habit. When the habit consolidates, I will see if a better recorder will be more functional.

I am a Zettler

• First try this morning: It is small enough to not annoy me. Sound is sufficient.

The device is a 8/10 (it could be smaller, lighter, and a little bit more responsive).

Now, I will go on to test out the workflow and habits.

I am a Zettler

• sony...icd-tx800

daily driver, combined with gpt4 whisper.... super powerful tool combo

• edited June 2023

I've got an older Livescribe Pulse pen I love with a small pocket notebook or Post-It Notes. It has an optical character reader and special paper but also records audio and links it to the written text (either before or after the fact). I primarily use it for longer lectures where I'll take scant notes, but have the ability to add to them based on the recorded audio later. They've also got some 3rd party OCR solutions that will take your handwriting and convert it to digital text later. While they do larger sized notebooks and a variety of other papers as well (including printing your own), the small pocket size and ease of use has been fantastic. I've owned one version or another for more than a decade and really love them for this sort of audio on-the-go functionality. Since it's a digital pen, it's also unobtrusive in meetings. The added ability to share pdf documents with embedded audio after the fact isn't bad for classmates or meeting attendees.

The newest versions seem to be the Echo 2 and the Symphony. See: https://www.livescribe.com

website | digital slipbox 🗃️🖋️

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. —Umberto Eco

• A bit late to the party here, but I've been using a Sony ICD-UX560 and have liked it. I've only tested out the ability to plug in an external mic a few times, since I haven't needed to in order to get good enough quality audio for my uses (which sometimes includes automated transcription).

• @learning_ran I think your tip is my favorite right now

@chrisaldrich How heavy is the pen?

@Thai Looks nice. I think it is to big and heavy for me. I will upgrade my voice recorder to something smaller like the model @learning_ran recommended.

It needs to be invisible in my pocket when I am hiking with my dog and if possible when I do my sprint training.

I am a Zettler

• My Echo 2 is 35g, which is a bit more than many of my everyday pens and mechanical pencils, but not by much. It is also a bit wider than the typical pen/pencil, but it doesn't feel/seem heavy and generally is comfortable to use for 3 hours of continuous writing in my experience. I often hide mine in a pocket (shirt, jacket, pants) when recording events while standing. I've never run with it though...

website | digital slipbox 🗃️🖋️

No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them. —Umberto Eco

• In case its helpful to folks to get a sense of device size, according to my so-so calipers and scale:

The UX560 is 50g and 102mm x 37mm x 10.75 mm

• @chrisaldrich Dang. This pen tempts me by connecting to my early childhood memories of Inspector Gadget. I think what turns me off is that it combines functions I like to have separate.

I am a Zettler

• Progress Report: I almost stopped to listen to podcasts during my morning walk with my dog. I value the stillness more than the added information influx.

The result is that I am doing quite some voice recordings.

I am still in the process of habit formation (Cue: Idea -> Behavioral Pattern: Pull out my voice recorder). That means I am still waiting for my behavioral pattern to settle until I will decide what device is correct for me.

From my Zettelkasten (heavily copyrighted and protected my private mercenary army; translated by deepl and not proof-read):

Important to note: Even if we already feel that we have made something a habit, the habit has not solidified. Only after what we want to make a habit of feels easy and natural does the consolidation of the habit begin:

In the first phase we train the reliability with which the habit is activated in response to a context stimulus. In this first phase, we still behave in an active and goal-oriented way. If we lose sight of the goal here, we lose motivation and fail to form the habit.

In the second phase, the habit feels like a habit because it is activated in response to the context stimulus, but it is not consolidated. This means that habits that are not self-rewarding (which is almost all good habits) will be lost again. We need to stay on the ball and not lull ourselves into a false sense of security. We must stay on the ball until the negative feelings subside.

Anthony Dickinson (1985): Actions and habits: the development of behavioural autonomy, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 1985, Vol. 308, S. 67-78.

Kyle S Smith and Ann M Graybiel (2013): A dual operator view of habitual behavior reflecting cortical and striatal dynamics, Neuron 2, 2013, Vol. 79, S. 361-74.

Henry H. Yin and Barbara J. Knowlton (2006): The role of the basal ganglia in habit formation, Nature Reviews Neuroscience 6, 2006, Vol. 7, S. 464--476.

My guess right now is that I will go for something:

• longish shape
    • very responsive
    • light weight
    • water-proof
    • storage is less of an issue

I am a Zettler