Zettelkasten Forum

Journal and zettelkasten.

I have been stuck with the thought of; whether or not the people who utilize a zettelkasten still keep a journal to write about their everyday life, or whether they just use zettelkasten as a device for all of that.

Comments

• @flin, I can only tell you what I do and try and explain the value I get from my process.
    I am a journaler and a zettelnaut. They are two different domains or personas. My journal is about my perceptions of my world. My zettelkasten is my idea factory, where ideas are forged into knowledge.

There is a some bleed over between these domains. It is dealt with simple links.
    I currently use Bear for journaling and The Archive for hosting my zettelkasten.
    In The Archive, links to Bear look like this -

• Investigate task serialization as opposed to incrementalism.
      - bear://x-callback-url/open-note?id=BBBA98B8-EB3E-435C-80FB-D65B185B978C-16225-00006F516691134F

In Bear, links to The Archive look like this -

• [Build and Maintain Friendships](thearchive://match/Build and Maintain Friendships 202209230722)

Will Simpson
    “Read Poetry, Listen to Good Music, and Get Exercise”
    kestrelcreek.com

• I am a journaler and a zettelnaut. They are two different domains or personas. My journal is about my perceptions of my world. My zettelkasten is my idea factory, where ideas are forged into knowledge.

Thank you for this. I’ve been wanting to have a journal but held back since I’m still currently trying to figure things out with my zettelkasten.
    But reading this made me realise what the differences between the two are, and I am probably gonna use them both, based on how you categorized them.

• @flin said:
    I have been stuck with the thought of; whether or not the people who utilize a zettelkasten still keep a journal to write about their everyday life, or whether they just use zettelkasten as a device for all of that.

I personally don't journal anymore for myself other than for training or projects.

On journaling

The reason is that the journaling is in part an accumulative method: There is a long period of low-structured input which benefits manifest first acutely (writing in itself seems to be healing through understanding). After you amassed a time-line of thoughts you can try to find throughlines and patterns which then gives you access to deep insights if you have the right tools. Most of the time people use psychologists which I think is in a similar way problematic that people use physical therapists for too much of their problems: Many problems are best solved by the person that has immediate access to the ego-perspective (phenomenological layer, subjective access, etc.) of the problem. This is of course dependent on self-education on basic concepts of what I call true self-care. Self-care seems to be associated with stuff like doing pleasant things (hot bath, nice walks in the sun) nowadays. If you take the antifragile nature of us humans into account this is just another way of the modern hedonist to keep stuck. (This is important for my approach to incorporate journaling into the Zettelkasten Method)

I do not need to accumulate in a low-structured way because I have already built structures within my own Zettelkasten and have both the habits and the temperament that allows for longer periods of introspection and to happen to be at the desk with my Zettelkasten available so I can write down my thoughts directly as individual notes.

So, the act of journaling is a habit to give yourself garantueed access to reflection and the healing aspect of writing.

Journaling Within Your Zettelkasten

My recommendation is to journal within your Zettelkasten:

1. You create a Structure Note that just contains the links to the individual entries.
    2. Each entry starts by creating the link first on the Structure Note to make sure that you'll have the timeline down and give your future self a canvas on which you can think about the meta of your journal (it gives you access to techniques like to creating episodes through section headlines and commentary for example)
    3. You make sure to connect each entry to the rest of your ZK
      • a) After each entry you treat it as if it was a note. That means that you search for connections in your Zettelkasten and give your future self a plethora of link context (describing the nature of the connection within the note!).
      • b) You make time for regular sessions to make a) happen.

I am a Zettler