Exporting information for external readers
I realize that publishing data from my knowledge base costs me more time than I want.
- Copy and paste information, convert from markdown syntax to Office like structure. This is my main concern that I want to address in this post.
- Requirement to produce plain text from small snippets of thoughts and bullet points. I know that this is probably the actual issue, where everyone has their own personal limits...
I personally am using vimwiki. I often have already structured text inside my wiki, so I am not following a dedicated ZK method, where I would provide very small pieces of information, as I have read it in your introduction.
Maybe the topic is known to you anyway. I could think that if you have only small snippets of information on your pages, the problem might be even worse. Or eventually better as you can copy and paste very small snippets of text(?).
I am currently working in an environment where the documents for external partners need to be written and shared in MS Office and the internal documents with LibreOffice. I personally often share textfiles internally, but there are some that don't like this, and latest when we have a kind of official internal meeting, I "quickly" convert my initial text into Office document.
How do you effectively export things from your knowledge base into documents that you want to publish eventually having the following points in mind:
- Efficient working: Information that is gained during writing the document to be published might also be needed to be transferred into you your knowledge base - duplicated information
- Markdown syntax is not powerful enough to e.g. handle tables, so there is cumbersom reformating when moving data. Vimwiki syntax is not supported externally. AsciiDoc is a kind of strange to me. Multimarkdown was not fully supported by all my tools.
- Laying out a document in MS Word or LibreOffice is for me a very time consuming process, when I copy plain text into it.
- I tried several conversion methods like for example
- exported html from vimwiki into word
- several tries with pandoc (e.g. to LibreOffice)