Zettelkasten Forum

What are you working on this week? (20220116-20220122 Week 3)

• working on 'engagement.py' (see below the output so far)
  • Classes have started and I'm not yet swamped
  • setting up structure note G-Snippets [[202201201312]]

Below are ideas and a one-sentence summary/meaning/'stinger'
of notions I'm grappling with this week.

I would love to talk to you about anything on this list.
If any of this is of interest to you, please start a thread here, DM me, or get in touch via email.

Sample Questioning Style For Science Writing
- Use question to guide essay

Deep Think January 9, 2022
- Captured wild spontaneous ideas Obsession in something interesting that matters is the key to developing a meaningful life.

Attention as an economic resource
- You only have the present moment attention, so watch who you give your attention to.

Turn Short Phrases Into Long Sentence
- Writing technic and tip for turning short sentences into longer sentences.

Pandoc-Marked2 Integration
- Settings and testing.

Self Mastery Is THE Keystone Habit
- Get on with the work of dropping bad habits.

Cognitive Load Theory and its Applications for Learning
- zettel in proofing oven

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited January 2022

@Will Thanks for starting this weekly topic up again. It always proves interesting to read about the workings of the group.

• I’m working on “Connecting threads.”

I’ve mentioned in another forum discussion a substantial amount of my database is dedicated to daily personal journal entries. Over the past several weeks, I have searched, and linked thoughts from my journal entries with Zettel notes on topics of interest. For example, I have a Zettel note titled "Disengage from my life." The title has its roots in David Allen's book Ready for Anything Chapter 24, where Mr. Allen says, " If I'm managing the incompletions of my world because in truth I simply want to disengage from my life, the stress never really goes away..." [1]

Apparently, this comment held a unique fascination for me, and I wrote personal insights into my journal entries in March 2008 and July 2009. I wrote a full-scale blog (unpublished) entry in February 2011 and more comments in July 2015. Journal entries on this thought by David Allen show up twice in 2021 and again in January 2022.

What I have found most interesting regarding these discussion threads is their glimpse into my thought pattern on a specific topic over time. Connecting my disjointed thoughts in journal entries via a Zettelkasten discussion thread is proving to be quite interesting and enlightening.

[1] Allen, David. Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Work and Life. Penguin Books, 2003. pp.72-73.

Post edited by Steve625 on
  • @Will what's the Snippets structure note going to be?

This week is/was mostly programming work. I've been tutored to actually do the cutting and audio/video syncing for the Zettelkasten course videos. Will be dedicating my time to that in a couple of weeks.

Writing and ZK wise, my notes in the past week have been mostly about home server maintenance and a couple of network security topics.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Will I am always interested in "attention as economic resource" discussions.

This week working on:

• essay on social media platform's use of "linking to past to validate present" and how this obscures the present (Shoshanna Zuboff)
    • The High Pony newsletter (my weekly send out of madness), which is always fun to put together
    • processed about ten notes into the ZK
    • learning about NFTs by drawing NFTs (I learn by doing)
  • Experimenting with Logseq because I am in search for software to manage my upstream products. Perhaps, I will replace emacs and my research.org.

I am a Zettler

• edited January 2022

I've been compiling a set of notes about weaponised missile technologies, strategic weaponry power balance, Cold War politics, etc. backstory to current Russia-USA crisis. I've had some notes on the matter scattered around, so I'm trying to add enough meat to form a coherent structure out of them.

Also, I keep working on notes on several permanent projects of mine (current fiction project, finances, sociology).

@Will

Attention as an economic resource

You probably meant "limited resource". "Economic" means "related to production/financial activity".
    If you want to look deeper into mechanics of attention management, you might want looking into marketing textbooks (I can't point to any, sorry).

• If you actually mean "economic" Tim Wu "Attention Merchants" is my recommendation.

I am a Zettler

• edited January 2022

Late last night I adapted a Cornell Notes template in LaTeX for use with Stylus Labs Write, a program for tablets that I commend to the attention of anyone interested in handwriting notes onscreen. Write can slide handwritten text along ruled page lines—a handy feature for editing and reorganizing handwritten notes. I use Write primarily for notes on mathematics. Last night I issued a pull request on github.com to contribute my Cornell Notes template (CC BY-SA 4.0) in SVG format to the collection of page templates for Stylus Labs Write. Write also can create clickable handwritten URL links. If Write were to support wikilinks (which it does somewhat circuitously through the file:/// mechanism), it would be even more useful to the digital ZK enthusiast. The program saves files in zipped Scalable Vector Graphics format.

This week I'm continuing a study of simplicial objects (including a computer verification of identities for a specific case), topology and the theory of (∞, 1)-categories, which my thesis advisor would have called homotopical category theory.

Post edited by ZettelDistraction on

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• edited January 2022

@ZettelDistraction said:
    This week I'm continuing a study of simplicial objects (including a computer verification of identities for a specific case), topology and the theory of (∞, 1)-categories, which my thesis advisor would have called homotopical category theory.

What on earth is this hamster website :) First they lure you in with cute graphics, then the next thing you click on opens up a page with crammed text and formulae all over the place. Mathematicians are getting clever hunting unsuspecting internet abusers.

• edited January 2022

@ctietze said:
    What on earth is this hamster website :) First they lure you in with cute graphics, then the next thing you click on opens up a page with crammed text and formulae all over the place. Mathematicians are getting clever hunting unsuspecting internet abusers.

The site owner, Jacob Lurie, is a mathematical genius. I don't get the impression of marketing and self-promotion from the site. There is a two-volume set on Topos Theory titled, "Sketches of an Elephant" where I wonder about the title.

On the contrary, the Kerodon is an effort to introduce a generalization of category theory to a wider audience, somewhat like the Stacks Project in commutive algebra and algebraic geometry (to which I contributed in a very minor way). This site assumes some familiarity with simplicial sets and objects, homotopy theory, etc.

I see another trend. The planet is in serious trouble. The future of organized society depends, I think, on educating and encouraging more applied and pure mathematicians, physicists, engineers, (not to mention writers, artists etc.), rather than discouraging them with often pointlessly competitive, moralizing attitudes and approaches to mathematics and STEM education. As technical and abstract as the Kerodon is, I find that the site, the approach and the interaction in the comments to be more encouraging and open than what I was exposed to and what seemed to be in the environment when I was starting out.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• edited January 2022

@ctietze said:
    @Will what's the Snippets structure note going to be?

Well, I took a stab at adding some structure to the 'coding' schema in my ZK, and I'm not sure how helpful it will be in the future. I wonder about the cost of building and maintaining a structure note in this use case. I envision that I'll always be searching, never browsing for solutions. A structure note is the cats' meow when you browse for connections, but it seems redundant when searching.

I have an additional 75 snippets in other places that could be imported into my ZK, and a couple of the zettel are a collection of snippets in a single category. That would expand this list to about 150 snippets.

How could I structure this to add value? What am I missing?

You asked so here you go. My first stab at making a Snippets structure note. .

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• I LOVE this thread. So many good little nuggets.

My wife and I bought a bunch of gym equipment that arrived this past week. I've got a lot of notes about fitness, crossfit, workout programming, etc.

I've also been logging song ideas in The Archive. I use Audio Hijack to record a quick mp3, then I use a version of @Will 's macro to copy the mp3 into my ZK media folder and paste it into a note. It's fun to follow the progress of a song from original idea to finished song to final album version.

• @Steve625 said:

Apparently, this comment held a unique fascination for me, and I wrote personal insights into my journal entries in March 2008 and July 2009. I wrote a full-scale blog (unpublished) entry in February 2011 and more comments in July 2015. Journal entries on this thought by David Allen show up twice in 2021 and again in January 2022.

What I have found most interesting regarding these discussion threads is their glimpse into my thought pattern on a specific topic over time. Connecting my disjointed thoughts in journal entries via a Zettelkasten discussion thread is proving to be quite interesting and enlightening.

I LOVE this. My system is more like a journal than anything. It's fun to think about it being searchable and connectable a decade later. Also haven't read that David Allen book, thanks for the recommendation. I read Making it All Work roughly once a year.

• @Will thanks for sharing the overview of your snippets!

Out of personal interest in programming stuff, I'd be interested to read updates on your code snippet organization progress! Please share updates :)

I can imagine this 1 list will get unwieldy at some point. You could of course break it up at the seams that already exist, like section headings. But maybe you'll have discovered other ways to organize your code snippets by then, or overlapping ones. It'd be interesting to see how you build this up now that this is still fairly new.