Zettelkasten Forum

The Zettelkasten Method for Fiction II – What You Can Look For

imageThe Zettelkasten Method for Fiction II – What You Can Look For

Know what you are trying to process when you process fiction, and be skilled in handling these pieces.

Read the full story here

Post edited by ctietze on

Comments

• Good discussion on makes a good story - elements, themes, characters, etc. I especially appreciated the three referenced books - there's some reading to do there!

• @GeoEng51 said:

Good discussion on makes a good story - elements, themes, characters, etc. I especially appreciated the three referenced books - there's some reading to do there!

<3

I wrote a meta-comment on reddit:

In the second installement of Zettelkasten for Fiction, I wrote a very similar post to the already published Reading is Searching. Both, reading fiction and non-fiction, depends on your ability to recognise patterns in the text. That means that you need to have a pattern repository stored in your brain and train your brain to see manifestations of this pattern.

Example: You can't process an argument if you don't know about the logical form of the argument or even more fundamental what the nature of an argument is regardless of its logical form. To understand how and why statements are connected to claim the truth of another statement is conditional to process an argument.

In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on the surface layer, on how to connect a note. Very little time is dedicated on why notes should be connected. The answer to the first question is tightly related to the software you use. But if you can't answer why the connection is valuable in a specific way you will feel that your connections have no good foundation. And if you have that feeling you deal with it according to your personality: Some just start, other hesitate, some fall into a rabbit hole of research, etc.

This is my meta-comment on this article: See the Zettelkasten Method as the guidelines to the architecture of your permacultural knowledge farm (hat tip to Andy Matuchak). But besides all your whole systems thinking and philosophy of agriculture, you still need to know when to feed the pigs and to how train your farm dog.>

I am a Zettler