Links and DAG
I am quite new to Zettelkasten.
In the last few days, I have read many blogposts and the overview here.
I still have a doubt though.. Should notes link only to older ones? If yes, they are connected like a directed acyclic graph.
The argument for it would be:
1. Notes don't need to change, they are just linked to from new ones
2. The relationship from one note to another can be derived both from the same link as two notes cannot link each others: backlinks are the way to see how they are related
3. No cycles (loops): each note can be traced back to a "seed"
4. Easier management: recent notes can be deleted easily since there will likely be few notes that reference them
1. Possible lack of expressiveness of the link lead to non-obvious backlinks
2. Knowledge doesn't really work this way: new knowledge is associated bi-directionally and direct links may be better
Also I am not sure what the implications would be for links between literature and permanent notes.
Like.. Literature note can link to previous permanent notes that are useful for the idea. But what for permanent notes created just to explain something in the literature note? I guess we treat them as if they were older than the literature note, even if the UID is more recent (timestamp) breaking a bit the rule. This means: create the new permanent note but linking to it from the older literature note. As for permanent notes that then emerge from literature note review — meaning after finishing the literature note — I guess they link the literature note that inspired their creation.
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!