Literature note workflow
I have seen a number of discussions on this in the forum and some great contributions from numerous people, particularly @Will, and one important message I've taken away is that there isn't a 'right' way to do most things in a zettelkasten setup and workflow.
That said, one thing I've been wondering about is literature notes. I'm building my zettelkasten in Scrivener and I was setting it up so that both literature notes and permanent notes are in the same system.
After reading an article on Medium that makes the following distinction, it clicked for me what a 'literature note' is:
"There are a couple of differences between Literature notes and permanent notes:
* Literature notes are written in the context of the source they were inspired by. Whereas permanent notes are written in the context of your own ideas and interests.
* Literature notes only have one connection, to the book they came from. While permanent notes can have many connections (to individual notes, as part of multiple topics etc)."
It then occurred to me that rather than having a single Zettel for each literature note, I could have a single document for all of the literature notes pulled/created from a single book/article/source. This is the format that Readwise pulls highlights into Evernote in in any case.
I would then keep the literature notes in a separate location (Evernote in my case) to simulate Luhmann's setup of having two separate slip boxes and to ensure that full text search in Scrivener doesn't surface both the literature note and the permanent note for each search.
A few questions:
- Do others keep a hard separation between storage location of literature notes and permanent notes?
- Has anyone set their system up in a similar way?
- Do you see any potential problems with the setup I've laid out?
- Is there any benefit to having literature notes from a single source broken down into many individual zettel if permanent notes are going to be created from the individual ideas?
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!