Zettelkasten Forum

WYSIWYG LaTeX editor

Ran across Compositor, a new WYSIWIG LaTeX editor for macOS, this morning. With any luck I'll never have to deal with LaTeX myself, but I thought it might be of interest to some of us here.

Comments

• I am not quite sure what to do about it. I would be happy never to deal with LaTeX. But at the same time I switched to org and never look back.

In my estimation, the labor of learning will always pay of. I think this year I will dig myself into LaTeX.

But the editor looks quite nice!

I am a Zettler

• I quite like LaTex. To be precise: I like what one can do with LaTeX. I have to deal with it mostly when writing papers (or finishing them, as I always start with Markdown) or when I want to produce really nice PDFs. Nowadays I don't really start LaTeX documents from scratch, I rather throw a few LaTeX commands into my Markdown documents and tweak a "template.sty" file to implement those commands.

At first glance, the Compositor looks nice. But I am quite used to doing the compile + preview cycles so they don't bother me. What I fear about a WYSIWYG editor is its WYSIWYG-ness: It distracts you. Now, as a formula editor it might be great. But permanently seeing that I might be approaching a page break, how everything moves and shifts and even looks as I type, etc --- I think this would drive me nuts. WYSIWYG completely defies the purpose of structured text editing, which LaTeX is perfectly fine for.

However, as an editing tool the Compositor can be really useful: Adding emphasis and symbols, adjusting page and image formatting, etc with just a few clicks and instant feedback, this would probably be valuable to me.

And yes, @Sascha, learning (LaTeX) will pay off in ways you might not be able to foresee now, but it definitely will :smile: