Zettelkasten Forum

New Outliner-Tool

Hello,

I‘m developing a new outliner tool.
Would you like to give me feedback?
See it here: http://sems-web.de/en/

Comments

• Interesting. I feel like I want to learn more. What did you use to implement it? Will it scale?

It seems simple. I like that. Is it too simple (not yet fleshed out?). Where are you headed with this? Will it be open source? Is it just a toy, or is it the start of a data management empire?

Do you have a description of what it is, how it works?

How do you see it utilized? Do I install it, do you provide a server with it on it?

Security/integrity/backup? What are the capacities/limitations?

Thanks for sharing.

• @dgarner said:
    Interesting. I feel like I want to learn more. What did you use to implement it?

server: Apache Tomcat, Java
    client: TypeScript, CSS

Will it scale?

Yes, I think so.
    (I am software developer by profession)

It seems simple. I like that.

I am happy, that you like the simplicity.

Is it too simple (not yet fleshed out?).

I don't think so. Sems is not only a software. It is a deep concept for working with data (semantic structures). On the website you only see the basic principles.

Where are you headed with this? Will it be open source? Is it just a toy, or is it the start of a data management empire?

Phew! It is just a toy for kids. They like to click around and see how things expand and collapse ;-)
    It will be open source (at least the main parts).

Do you have a description of what it is, how it works?

I will provide a detailed description and leave the link in a couple of days.

How do you see it utilized? Do I install it, do you provide a server with it on it?

It is used in the web browser and backed by a server.

Security/integrity/backup?

Under development :-)

What are the capacities/limitations?

I think there are few limitations ... The working memory of a computer has about 16 GB. That means you can have almost one million zettels in your working memory.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your questions :-)

• Thanks for the additional details. Looking forward to seeing more, as it progresses.

• Nice!

• I would like to have a number to know how many sub-blocks by parent.
    • During a cession, I would like the software to keep the subs open/close position when I close a parent and re-open it later.
  • Cool! What do you see as differentiating it from the other various outliners already out there?

• To me, Sems is more about a user interface or interaction pattern (nested, context-ful links that expand and collapse in place to improve user experience -- to loosely summarize @fbb's BA thesis in my terms :)) -- so I'd really like someone to develop a sript to convert any old plain text note archive with [[wiki links]] to something Sems can read, so I can experience what nested, infinitely unfolding links in my existing archive would feel like :) I expect this to be like graph views: you have to experiment and experience it for a while to find out what its power is, and how you can harness it.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @KrsBee said:
    Nice!

• I would like to have a number to know how many sub-blocks by parent.
    • During a cession, I would like the software to keep the subs open/close position when I close a parent and re-open it later.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

@Nick said:
    Cool! What do you see as differentiating it from the other various outliners already out there?

That's a good question. What do you think about link to text blocks and Sems-hypertext?

@ctietze said:
    To me, Sems is more about a user interface or interaction pattern (nested, context-ful links that expand and collapse in place to improve user experience -- to loosely summarize @fbb's BA thesis in my terms :)) -- so I'd really like someone to develop a sript to convert any old plain text note archive with [[wiki links]] to something Sems can read, so I can experience what nested, infinitely unfolding links in my existing archive would feel like :) I expect this to be like graph views: you have to experiment and experience it for a while to find out what its power is, and how you can harness it.

I am also curious about converting an existing archive into Sems. I will give you notice as soon as an open format for Sems is available.