Zettelkasten Forum

In news around the web

Driving to town yesterday daydreaming about my todo list and I was startled back to the reality when at the 56:20 minute mark of The Mac Power Users podcast, Brett Terpstra, starts talking about Markdown and the virtues of plain text when he casually mentions how awesome The Archive app is because it is one of few that has implemented the streaming preview feature of Marked2. How cool is that? I can tell you it is really cool and The Archive's integration with Mark2 works great.

Thanks, @ctietze.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• @Will Thanks for pointing this out! I have Marked 2 and had no idea I could do this. I was using IA Writer for the same reason, but that requires accessing my Zettelkasten files in iA Writer (easy enough to do) in addition to The Archive.

And "cheers" to @ctietze!

• Huh? I too have Marked 2 and didn't know I could do this. And it seems I cannot. :(

Selecting Stream Preview to Marked does not open Marked, and if Marked is open, nothing happens.

I'm on 1.5.6 (161). I do have external editor set (to Byword); would that make a difference?

• @Jeremy said:
    Huh? I too have Marked 2 and didn't know I could do this. And it seems I cannot. :(

Selecting Stream Preview to Marked does not open Marked, and if Marked is open, nothing happens.

I'm on 1.5.6 (161). I do have an external editor set (to Byword); would that make a difference?

The way I activate the streaming feature is to right-click on the zettel in the Note List then select Open with External Editor and select Marked 2. You'll want Marked 2 as one of your external editors (you can have multiple) and Stream Markdown note preview to Marked while you type enabled.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Jeremy The key is in the label below the setting from Will's screenshot: You have to turn "Streaming Preview" on in Marked 2 as the receiving end.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @Jeremy I don't have Marked 2 listed as an external editor in The Archive but I do have the box labelled "Stream Markdown note...." checked (both under Preferences...Advanced). Then with TA open, I start up Marked 2 and under its dropdown menu, click on Preview and then on "Streaming Preview". I had to do that the first time; thereafter the streaming preview would show automatically when I opened Marked 2.

I guess it would make sense to add Marked 2 as an external editor in TA, but I just never got around to it and it doesn't seem to be necessary.

• Thanks Will and Cristian. Finally got around to implementing this -- I had not realised you could have >1 external editors -- and it works fine. Not too useful on a small laptop screen, but that's not your problem. :)