Zettelkasten Forum

Ezra Klein Show: Deep reading

Just listened to this episode of the Ezra Klein show, where he interviews Nicholas Carr. Lots of the issues discussed (deep reading and making connections, navigating digital distraction) resonate with some of the discussions happening on this forum. As a scholar who often catches himself reading to “mine” rather than contemplate, I found much of this rather useful.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmZlZWRidXJuZXIuY29tL1RoZUV6cmFLbGVpblNob3c/episode/M2ZlZDI2YTgtMTU0OS0xMWVhLTk0MmYtMDMwM2MwMzdkMWNj?ved=2ahUKEwjs3tnXw6bqAhW253MBHQ-EBNsQkfYCegQIARAF

Comments

• Thank you for this share,

I listen to the podcast today and, not only I liked the discussion around deep reading, but also about how different the perception of surrounding (landscape, environment, people, history...) is to the people (or communities; namely past ones) that don't read.

================
    _Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. _ -- Zora Neale Hurston

• Thanks for the suggestion. It was a good discussion between the two. Hard to believe it's 10 years since The Shallows was published. Prescient writing on the part of Mr Carr.