Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] [REQUEST] Next/Previous Note key binding

edited June 2020 in Resolved Issues

Hi there,

Being a Vim user, I find nvALT's Next Note and Previous Note key bindings incredibly helpful; ⌘J and ⌘K. Is there any way to replicate these shortcuts in The Archive, rather than the default use of arrow keys?

Thank you.

Post edited by ctietze on

Comments

• This may be coming in the production version of The Archive but in the meantime, you can change the shortcut.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thanks, @Will. The Next/Previous I refer to is different from Forward/Back. The up/down arrow keys navigate through The Archive's Note List. I wasn't anticipating missing nvALT's vim-like bindings so much, but I find it jarring to constantly move away from the home keys when navigating the Note List. One of those little big things!

• @Matocaster I see your point. We want to navigate the "Note List" not the history.
    This can be done by changing the keybindings on an application by application basis. The only way I found to do this is with a third-party app like Keyboard Maestro or BetterTouchTool or TextExpander. I've set this up with a couple of very simple Keyboard Maestro macros on my MAC and it works okay. The only thing I wish for is a way to change the focus from the Note List to the Editor and back with ⌘H / ⌘L. This could be done with a little thinking and Keyboard Maestro.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will I hadn't used Keyboard Maestro before. Just trialed it out and does the job, thanks. Unsure whether I want to purchase KM for just this one use-case though. I'll look on the forum to see what other advantages KM brings to The Archive.

Another useful navigation feature in nvALT is the shifting of focus to the Note List on pressing ⌘J/K when in a note. This negates any additional ⌘H/L.

• @Matocaster check out https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/213/the-archive-keyboard-maestro-alfred-macros. I'm biased and use Keyboard Maestro for a ton of automation both with The Archive and in almost every other application I use on the Mac.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited June 2020

For now, you can do it like this: if the focus is in a note, press CTRL +TAB to bring the focus back to the omnibar and then use the up/down arrow keys. Once you have selected another note, press TAB to bring focus back to the note.

• @pryley Thanks for the tip! Works great. Now I have to think about which I prefer as I mapped the tab key to ⌘] "Indent Line".

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• Making "Next/Prev Note" an app-global shortcut is a good idea!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• The menu options are available now from the "Note" menu and and ready for custom key bindings :) It ships with v1.5.4, which you can currently get from the "Cutting Edge" update channel.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze thanks, it works perfectly! Awesome stuff.